Another Dad looking for swing analysis and some hitting advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't know what MLB batters would do with those outside pitches but I know what would happen if our players attempted to hit the outside pitches at that location. Weak grounders or more likely, pop ups. No way they're going to opposite field. MLB batters aren't going to opposite field either, at those locations.

IMO the pitch shown on the outside edge, and the pitch shown off the outside edge, should have a swing that provides 'direction' to send it to opposite field.

Try this experiment yourself. Set the tee at spots shown in 'red' and 'blue' relative to home plate. From the same stance, swing (with direction) so as to put them over the fence. Report back.

2db5q2u.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
2 Things Pujols Does to Hit the Outside Pitch | Train Baseball There are numerous U Tube video's posted by MLB players on this subject. All you have to do is google the subject. All teach the same thing.

This site has pictures of how to set up the T.

5 Drills for Hitting the Outside Pitch « Softball Excellence

Pujols’ Keys to Hitting the Outside Pitch

1. Pujols changes his approach with 2 strikes
2. Pujols has taught himself to wait and let every pitch get deep in the zone

ac35uc.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Where are the images that show batters hitting deep in the zone?

That's what I've been asking for as well. Haven't seen advocates present this data yet. I would like to see the supporting data.

Sure, what I read here is that Pujols learned the value of letting EVERY PITCH get deep in the zone ... every pitch, as in 'every pitch', and not simply saying "oh, yeah, this is an outside pitch, I guess I'll let this one travel deeper" ... and yes, the mindset of letting every pitch travel deep helps him deal with the variability between inside & outside pitches. That said, he's not advocating a different strategy for 'inside' versus 'outside' with that approach ... more he's just stating what he had to do to allow for dealing with variability.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I'm not asking you, or anyone, to let anything 'slide'. To the contrary, I'm looking for a discussion .... and I welcome supporting data. Telling me that you agree that MLB hitters hit this way, but that girls should not hit this way, is not supporting data ... it is merely your coaching belief, and a belief that I personally think uses an improper blue print for charting out a path for a developing hitter.

As with others ... I welcome supporting data.

The supporting data I would like to see is how many pitches hit in this location resulted in weak ground balls and pop-ups. You have no real data to use as a recommendation of where to hit those pitches. Just some data that says pitches there were hit for home runs. There is a difference. You're using one slice of data and trying to apply it to all instances as a recommendation. I challenge that.

Since you knew where to find this one, can you look at how many balls hit out in front on the outside part of the plate resulted in outs? That, to me, would be more telling.

Jun 7, 2013
Colorado
Have you been to batspeed.com,, i just saw the first clip, and hands were not direct to ball, the quieter the upper body , but there was a slight hand drop, maybe yoy have that corrected,

I went and checked out that site, and one of the main principles they espouse (generating torque by pivoting the hands) is something I had seen elsewhere as well and have been trying to incorporate into her swing this week. It's a bit tough since we are in the middle of an all-week tournament, but we are heading to her team's indoor hitting facility tonight to get in some quality work and this will be one of the major aspects we work on.

I don't want to change too many things at once, especially in the middle of the tournament, but I think tonight we'll work on pivoting the hands more, doing a better job of loading the hands, and trying to stay back more and coil into the rear hip. That still sounds like a lot, but she picks up on these things scary fast and even with only a couple of hours worth of swings under her belt she'll still be comfortable bringing that adjusted swing to the plate for her games tomorrow.

Again, thanks to everyone who has thrown in their advice. It is sometimes hard to sort through, but I'm getting a better and better picture all the time on how to help her.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The supporting data I would like to see is how many pitches hit in this location resulted in weak ground balls and pop-ups. You have no real data to use as a recommendation of where to hit those pitches. Just some data that says pitches there were hit for home runs. There is a difference. You're using one slice of data and trying to apply it to all instances as a recommendation. I challenge that.

Since you knew where to find this one, can you look at how many balls hit out in front on the outside part of the plate resulted in outs? That, to me, would be more telling.

I personally welcome all factual data. Would welcome data that promotes what you advocate.

Oct 25, 2009
I'm not personally interested in a discussion with a liar. I'll leave that for others.

I do like the notion of paying attention to statistics. So let's continue with the discussion ... and if you have some statistics to share, then please share them.

There was a study performed on MLB home runs in which the point of contact was analyzed. What was observed does not agree with what you suggest. Normalizing for relative placement of the front foot, they observed that contact was made further out towards the pitcher for inside pitches … and as you suggest, as the pitch came in more towards the middle of the plate, the point of contact reached a minimum … but as the pitch went from being located from middle of the plate, towards the outer half of the plate, the optimal contact point remained the same … and as the ball was located further off of the plate, then the optimal contact point was actually further out towards the pitcher, but less so than for an inside pitch. Such a diagram would look something like what you see below (oriented for a right handed hitter).

30b2pes.jpg

Who made the study? When? How many batters? How many HRs at each poc? What were the bat lengths? How close were they to the plate on the outside pitches?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01