Another Dad looking for swing analysis and some hitting advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You teach them, like they have two strikes every pitch.

No. Perhaps what was described resembles the approach you teach with two strikes, but it isn't the approach I use.

Tonight, we play our second game, in our series for district champions, two out of three, (we won last night),
I am going to tighten up our swings, we will look inside all game. We will work on staying short, turning the barrel, keeping the barrel uup, every trick I can to repair that dreaded arm barring.

Wish you and the team well tonight.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If HRs are the measuring stick, Adam Dunn is a better hitter than Miguel Cabrera. An all-or-nothing swing that produces 200+ contactless at bats a season is not what I'm after.

re what is data? Below are Cabrera safe-hit spray charts, which are graphical data presentations

from BaseballAnalytics.com
mlb_e_cabhitcha_576.jpg

Very interesting. Amazing to me is the number of IF pop ups.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Nice post Greenmonsters. We even use spray patterns at the high school level now. Sure beats the heck out of scouting the old fashion way and like you posted above you can see patterns. We use Iscore .

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
It's great to give them a plan when they go to bat. I like it.
I have a Q about swinging out from the body. Do you teach them to swing out from the body ONLY when hitting outside pitches or did I misread your post? My point being if you do only teach swinging out from the body on outside pitches then you are teaching two different swings.

Your question is exactly how I feel at the moment. The hips do not turn as much, and extension is towards right(for a righty) The barrel turns sooner, lag is short.

coil forward is the same, stretch, getting to launch position is the same.
Hand path is more lineal, than for inside.

I used to use a cheat for outside, straighten the front arm a bit more, cheat in the back foot.

Five frame, thanks for your support for tonight.

I am confused on your approach, do you teach your kids to just go with the pitch? no plan at all?

I for one, CAN, swing inside out, but I would not really attempt to have my kids hit just any pitch towards right, oppo.

And. I am having trouble with look inside, and react to outside, the hips might over rotate wouldn't they?

I am off to the game, but I do have hundreds of clips, as do most here, that shows out from the body, and turning more on inside.

Tonight I think I will just work on keeping the hands tighter, and getting the barrel turned.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I used to use a cheat for outside, straighten the front arm a bit more, cheat in the back foot.

If you have Epstein’s book “Mike Epstein on Hitting”, then give page 62 a read.

Five frame, thanks for your support for tonight.

Hopefully the game went well.

I am confused on your approach, do you teach your kids to just go with the pitch? no plan at all?

I generally use a team-based hitting plan … one that changes multiple times throughout a game based on the situation. I also use individual based plans. Likewise there are times when a hitter should be covering the entire plate … and times when guessing is appropriate.

I for one, CAN, swing inside out, but I would not really attempt to have my kids hit just any pitch towards right, oppo.

I certainly hope you can swing inside/out. Ted Williams studied golf because he believed the baseball swing was an inside/out swing, and he felt there were some answers to be had by studying golf from a perspective of better understanding the swing as inside/out.

And. I am having trouble with look inside, and react to outside, the hips might over rotate wouldn't they?

Not sure why this would trouble you. Did you understand Softballphreak’s explanation of maintaining a tight HPP until direction dictated otherwise? That is complimentary to “looking inside, reacting outside”. Virtually the same thing.

If the hips are over rotated then you are likely missing a helpful directional component. Look at the Noontime drill/experience ... it will help with that. Understand what it means to create a corner and throw.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles