Another Dad looking for swing analysis and some hitting advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In this particular swing he is reaching. (Or, at least the placement of the tee makes it look that way.) In the following few posts the batters are making good contact inside the front foot.

My point is that, from the tee, if a batter practices hitting it that far out front, they will have a tendency to reach for that point instead of trying to let it get deeper and then, against live pitching, they will reach for that point.

Inside the foot is a good poc for a middle pitch, no doubt. But. IMO, they were trying to let the ball get deeper.

Not to mention that the "tee" could have been placed farther back in the edited images and still looked real. I guess we can now do with pictures what we can do with statistics.

The tee was placed at the point of contact.

p.s.
There is a difference between 'reaching' and 'releasing'.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
ztsy8l.gif

Oct 19, 2009
As far as the placement of the ball on the tee goes for different pitch locations. Everyone has a different body types some have long or short legs, torso or arms and the prefect contact point for inside, middle or outside varies from hitter to hitter. We start at the standard placement of inside in front of the front foot, middle at the front foot and outside at the straddle, and adjust from there. When the batter finds the perfect spot for them we work from that point for that particular batter.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
As far as the placement of the ball on the tee goes for different pitch locations. Everyone has a different body types some have long or short legs, torso or arms and the prefect contact point for inside, middle or outside varies from hitter to hitter. We start at the standard placement of inside in front of the front foot, middle at the front foot and outside at the straddle, and adjust from there. When the batter finds the perfect spot for them we work from that point for that particular batter.

Please define "straddle".

Oct 19, 2009
Thank you Peppers.

Do you have data that backs up this teaching, or is this something that you’ve passed along without confirmation?

What I do have is the information I’ve picked up at different coaches camps; coming home and experimenting for myself. I can tell by the sound of the bat when the kid finds the best contact location for her\him.

As far as statistics go I’ve learned that “Figures don’t lie but liars figure”.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What I do have is the information I’ve picked up at different coaches camps; coming home and experimenting for myself. I can tell by the sound of the bat when the kid finds the best contact location for her\him.

As far as statistics go I’ve learned that “Figures don’t lie but liars figure”.

I'm not personally interested in a discussion with a liar. I'll leave that for others.

I do like the notion of paying attention to statistics. So let's continue with the discussion ... and if you have some statistics to share, then please share them.

There was a study performed on MLB home runs in which the point of contact was analyzed. What was observed does not agree with what you suggest. Normalizing for relative placement of the front foot, they observed that contact was made further out towards the pitcher for inside pitches … and as you suggest, as the pitch came in more towards the middle of the plate, the point of contact reached a minimum … but as the pitch went from being located from middle of the plate, towards the outer half of the plate, the optimal contact point remained the same … and as the ball was located further off of the plate, then the optimal contact point was actually further out towards the pitcher, but less so than for an inside pitch. Such a diagram would look something like what you see below (oriented for a right handed hitter).

30b2pes.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01