A great one is gone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
Rest in peace, Peter Looney.

Softball will go on, but it will never be the same | SouthCoastToday.com

Looney, who started coaching freshman football and varsity track at Apponequet in 1967, died Friday after a four-month battle against brain cancer.

"Peter was a great man. He's the one who brought softball to the SouthCoast," said New Bedford coach Harry Lowe, who coached softball for 13 seasons at Apponequet before leaving to take over the Whalers. "He knew how important pitching was to the game and he developed some of the best pitchers in the state."

Looney's love affair with pitching began when he started watching film of pro softball legend Joan Joyce, who had a fastball that was clocked at 118 miles per hour.

Joyce lived in Connecticut and Looney went there to seek out her coach, John Stratton. The two became fast friends and they ended up co-writing a book about pitching in the 1980s.

The things that Looney saw in the way Joyce pitched changed softball in this area forever. When Looney first starte coaching softball, it was a slow-pitch game. That all changed though, when Holly Booth, a 6-foot-1 freshman showed up at one of Looney's softball practices.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
The 118mph thing is downright comical.

I watched her pitch as a kid, but I knew nothing about true speed. However, I think they meant the equivalent of 118mph when calculating batter reaction times compared to baseball. It is grossly misleading though. Oh well, it just adds to the legend as if it needs any embellishment!

I hope he is honored in a permanent memorial of some sort! Hero's need to be revered!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC