I’m at a loss... help !

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Pitching coaches are like a raft, they help you cross rivers. But once you get to the other side, the raft is to heavy to carry around. Drop the raft and do your thing! The best coach is the person pitching and she should always be learning to coach herself.
Drop the pitching coach! Make it fun or do something else fun together.
I love this analogy and I’m going to apologize to you in advance for stealing it in the future uses.

Jun 8, 2016
Pitching coaches are like a raft, they help you cross rivers. But once you get to the other side, the raft is to heavy to carry around. Drop the raft and do your thing! The best coach is the person pitching and she should always be learning to coach herself.
Drop the pitching coach! Make it fun or do something else fun together.
He said she switched coaches after her recent struggles.

May 30, 2017
Going to be a bit blunt here...

You took something she liked, and turned it over to an abusive J**k@*@ coach and justified it because of 'tough love' and 'mentally strong' which is leading her to hate even doing this anymore.

Why would you do that? Why would you let it continue?

Let me guess - he has some rep of building pitchers or 'knowing the game'

She isn't having fun; you made it a job with an abusive boss. Before you try to fix anything mecahnical, stop these lessons with this coach, find a better fit and hope the damage isn't permanent.

It is still meant to fun and enjoyable.
I guess you didn’t read the part where at said I stopped taking her there

May 30, 2017
Does she really love the game? Or does she love it because you do?

There is a lot of "We" in your post in key parts, "We were excited for the season", "We switched pitching coaches" and so on...

Not saying that she doesn't love softball but maybe it is worth making sure she knows she'd be supported if she just decided today to put down her glove and take off her cleats for the last time. Maybe she'll be done playing and find something else or maybe she'll turn it around. After all, she is the one playing and the one that has to truly want to play and improve to solve any of these issues.

Maybe she just needs a break, does she play other sports? If not, might be worth trying something else even if just to get a mental and physical break from softball. I know my DD just turned 12 and focusing on one sport year-round would not end well.

yes , believe me , I have thought long and hard about the “ we”. I have asked her time And time again if SHE really loves it and she swears over and over she does. I’ve actually begged her to stop pitching because when she plays first base she is so relaxed and has so much fun that I just want her to fee like that always - but she will not quit pitching. She says it’s her dream. It is heartbreaking to say the least to watch her struggle in this manner and be able to do nothing to help.

Feb 20, 2020
There's a novel from about seven years ago called "The Art of Fielding." it's about a college shortstop on his way to be a number one draft pick, but in a game he has a bad throw that puts hits his best friend in the head. After that, he can't throw anymore. Just can't make the throw to first to save his life. His senior season ends, and he gets drafted in like the 32nd round. When he asks a scout why they drafted him, the scout tells him the skills are all there. He just needs to get out there, take a few thousand grounders and it will eventually come back. Mental blocks only last as long as they last. With a 32nd round pick, they've got the time to let it happen.

Your DD sounds like she's got the skills, but she's thinking too hard. I don't know if something happened or if it was the new coach or if the pressure just started getting to her. So the best thing to do is to throw a few thousand pitches, and it will eventually come back. Don't put her in game situations for a while -- just let her keep throwing in practice or in the backyard. She'll let you know when she's ready.

The best cure to nervousness is competence. If a pitcher has thrown 10,000 strikes to the outside corner, they know they can always hit the outside corner. There's nothing to be nervous about because it's all reflex at that point. So have her just go out and throw. And throw some more. If she's got the skills, they'll come back.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We went through this. Unfortunately, we had to change from an outstanding pitching coach to a not so good one who would also tear my dd down. I apologize for telling some of these things so many times. We stopped going to any pitching coach and then had her throw on her own and have fun. We did things like, I bought some of those cheap folding lawn chairs and she would throw at them trying to knock them down. We took cones and set balls on them and she would throw trying to knock the balls down. We didn't care much about mechanics and she was told, what her first great pitching coach would tell her, to throw as hard as she could. She got it back and then some. You have to laugh some doing this. Go get an ice cream afterwards once in a while and KEEP ALL NEGATIVE COMMENTS TO YOURSELF. At some point, bring in a catcher and tell your dd to knock her down. Forget the other pitches. They will come later after she has built her confidence back. Good luck!

Edited to add:

Be careful of analysis paralysis. That is what she is doing. Instead, fill that negative trend with positive comments.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
There's a novel from about seven years ago called "The Art of Fielding." it's about a college shortstop on his way to be a number one draft pick

An aside...most of the baseball parts of the book were decent, or even good. The rest of it is a dumpster fire of bad writing and ridiculous characters. (in my opinion, of course).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45