a few questions on recruiting...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
On your "softball resume" should you put where your numbers came from (verified). Ex. Fastball 70 mph (Pennsbury recruiting camp) I know a lot of people, as said in other threads, really exaggerate these.

Is it true that a coach will disregard someone immediately based on weight for position? A girl we know put her weight down as 20 lbs less than what she is because of this. She doesn't think they'd weigh her so she's not concerned about it. DD has busted her butt off and lost 15 lbs this year but still hasn't reached her goal.

True or False...We were told that if a school is interested, they would be sending out camp information and saying we could come for free. They can do this at any point during the year regardless of age.

Do coaches look at your recruiting video in slow motion?

Should you put tee swings on your video or not. NCSA says no and I think I agree, but Coach says yes...do it.

Any more insights from those that use NCSA? DD wants to do it, and it isn't a concern financially. Our friends really like it but they haven't really been using it long.

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2008
1) Doesn't hurt to back up the #s with info on where they were taken.

2) I doubt a coach is going to disregard someone immediately based upon their weight.

3) False. And if they do, it's illegal under NCAA rules.

4) I'd think a coach is only going to take the time to watch pieces of the video in slow motion if they really see something they like at full-speed. You don't need slow motion to figure out if someone can play for you or not.

5) Tee swings are a good way to see mechanics separated from timing. Once a ball is coming at her, timing is added into the equation and may change the mechanics. In that regard, it wouldn't hurt to put in a few tee swings.

6) NCSA has partnered with the NFCA, so in the coming months or years I assume that partnership will be beneficial both to student-athletes and the coaches doing the recruiting.

Dec 7, 2011
1) Doesn't hurt to back up the #s with info on where they were taken.

2) I doubt a coach is going to disregard someone immediately based upon their weight.

3) False. And if they do, it's illegal under NCAA rules.

4) I'd think a coach is only going to take the time to watch pieces of the video in slow motion if they really see something they like at full-speed. You don't need slow motion to figure out if someone can play for you or not.

5) Tee swings are a good way to see mechanics separated from timing. Once a ball is coming at her, timing is added into the equation and may change the mechanics. In that regard, it wouldn't hurt to put in a few tee swings.

6) NCSA has partnered with the NFCA, so in the coming months or years I assume that partnership will be beneficial both to student-athletes and the coaches doing the recruiting.

Using these #s:
1) If it's a short description then I agree)
2) In my DD being recruited I think this weighed heavy (no pun intended - as I am quite "husky"). Most real programs have rigid & difficult training routines and if they see this might be a culture-shock to the candidate it could be held against them.
3) Agree with S2. THis would be a "no-no". We paid our camp visits to DD's school right up until the NCAA visits.
4) I have heard some say don't trouble college coaches with extra video. I am willing to bet otherwise. I feel strongly that the national all-star video that I U-tubed of my DD really brought more attention to her. After I had that posted, and referenced in her resume, the calls started coming in much more frequently with much more intent. So adding slo-mo, if it's flattering and you're sure of it, I say add it (within limits of length though of course)
5) I choose not to include T-swings. To me it's not much of an add.
6) No comment

Oct 10, 2011
This is such a big help. Thanks so much. We are going to start her video as soon as the weather breaks...I really don't want to do it in a cage.
It's exciting and frustrating trying to figure out what coaches are thinking. I asked about the camps because we think several coaches have been interested at camps etc... but of course can't really tell. For instance at TN, a coach came over and said he wanted to pitch to my DD. He pitched to her, patted her on the head and said that's a pretty swing, and then went away.
It's nice to hear from those that have "been there, done that.."

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This is such a big help. Thanks so much. We are going to start her video as soon as the weather breaks...I really don't want to do it in a cage.
It's exciting and frustrating trying to figure out what coaches are thinking. I asked about the camps because we think several coaches have been interested at camps etc... but of course can't really tell. For instance at TN, a coach came over and said he wanted to pitch to my DD. He pitched to her, patted her on the head and said that's a pretty swing, and then went away.
It's nice to hear from those that have "been there, done that.."

One suggestion based on my DD's experience. Don't wait, start filming now and update it later if you want. Every time we planned to shoot her video, it had to be postponed due to a season-ending injury (ACL, broken arm). Given my DD's specific academic objectives, not having a SB skills video wasn't fatal, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Why are listing weight? We put height down for my dd because we thought it might give her an edge. 5'11" was her height and we knew that they might check it so we listed it correctly instead of 6 foot. When we listed other stats, etc. we listed where those stats could be found on the web (url to school site or TB site). DD threw 63 mph but didn't list it or where she was gunned. (Gunned by one college recruiting her and so, knew that we didn't want other coaches to call.)

Per free clinics, that is an NCAA violation as I understand it.

We did not put tee swings in dd's recruitment video. We messed up, as I have mentioned many times, and put too much other stuff in the video but because she was being recruited at so many different positions by various colleges.

I do know of one coach that took dd's video and broke it down. The reason for this was that this D-I coach had never seen dd play and it was getting down to the wire. HC had heard of dd from a very well known D-I coach who told her that my dd would come in and start in her program. DD got an offer from that coach without every having been seen by her and I know that is rare.

We did not use any recruiting service for my dd and for her friends and teammates. I'm betting the number is around 20 to 25 who all are playing college softball without those services.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Be sure and have grandpa stick the radar gun, down into the camera, after every pitch. It will get your video a lot of play time.

(I'm sure someone here can post it)

What I have learned from listening to major coaches speak at our conventions is that "music is annoying" "Don't show 8 different pitches" "Do not show foot speed, if you aren't less than 3.0 down the line." "Keep the video short." Also, a coach like Mike Candrea said that during peak season, he gets 60 videos a day.

For pitchers, I personally like when they are working with a catcher other than their dad.

Oct 10, 2011
Be sure and have grandpa stick the radar gun, down into the camera, after every pitch. It will get your video a lot of play time.

(I'm sure someone here can post it)

What I have learned from listening to major coaches speak at our conventions is that "music is annoying" "Don't show 8 different pitches" "Do not show foot speed, if you aren't less than 3.0 down the line." "Keep the video short." Also, a coach like Mike Candrea said that during peak season, he gets 60 videos a day.

For pitchers, I personally like when they are working with a catcher other than their dad.
I saw that video. It hilarious! DD isn't a pitcher but it's still good advice. I don't know why I used that for an example.

Oct 10, 2011
Why are listing weight? We put height down for my dd because we thought it might give her an edge. 5'11" was her height and we knew that they might check it so we listed it correctly instead of 6 foot. When we listed other stats, etc. we listed where those stats could be found on the web (url to school site or TB site). DD threw 63 mph but didn't list it or where she was gunned. (Gunned by one college recruiting her and so, knew that we didn't want other coaches to call.)

Per free clinics, that is an NCAA violation as I understand it.

We did not put tee swings in dd's recruitment video. We messed up, as I have mentioned many times, and put too much other stuff in the video but because she was being recruited at so many different positions by various colleges.

I do know of one coach that took dd's video and broke it down. The reason for this was that this D-I coach had never seen dd play and it was getting down to the wire. HC had heard of dd from a very well known D-I coach who told her that my dd would come in and start in her program. DD got an offer from that coach without every having been seen by her and I know that is rare.

We did not use any recruiting service for my dd and for her friends and teammates. I'm betting the number is around 20 to 25 who all are playing college softball without those services.

We put down her weight just because it was in Cathy Aradi's book in her examples. Maybe we'll take it off along with her home to first time LOL.

Dec 3, 2008
I don't think there is any reason to list weight, whether your daughter is super fit or super not. Give the information you want them to know and if they are curious about anything specific you don't have listed, make them put forth the effort to request it or figure it out. If she's not under 3.0 home to first, leave it out. A 3.3 second time is more noticeable than not having a time posted. In my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877