a few questions on recruiting...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
On your "softball resume" should you put where your numbers came from (verified). Ex. Fastball 70 mph (Pennsbury recruiting camp) I know a lot of people, as said in other threads, really exaggerate these.

Is it true that a coach will disregard someone immediately based on weight for position? A girl we know put her weight down as 20 lbs less than what she is because of this. She doesn't think they'd weigh her so she's not concerned about it. DD has busted her butt off and lost 15 lbs this year but still hasn't reached her goal.

True or False...We were told that if a school is interested, they would be sending out camp information and saying we could come for free. They can do this at any point during the year regardless of age.

Do coaches look at your recruiting video in slow motion?

Should you put tee swings on your video or not. NCSA says no and I think I agree, but Coach says yes...do it.

Any more insights from those that use NCSA? DD wants to do it, and it isn't a concern financially. Our friends really like it but they haven't really been using it long.

Thanks!

1. Yes, but watch the over exaggerating. If you say she throws 70 and they show up and get 59 not gonna go well. Because if you say 70 and it looks it in the video, they will show up! If you say 66 and she throws 63, you'd be OK.

2. There may be some but would not be the norm. You probably would not see many 190 lb SS. But if the girl is that good, they will want her. And they will get her in the shape they want her in when she gets to school.

3. If you fill out a recruit questionnaire you will get invites whether they are interested or not. But it will not be free.

4. I know some do, but maybe not all. Having one slomo of her swing or a pitch would be good, but not super slomo, maybe 1/4 speed. Also if you are going to pitching, hitting and fielding I would do split it in 2 videos. Anything over 3 or 4 mins they may lose interest, at least that's the consensus from the coaches I have talked to. Pitching on one, hitting fielding on another. And some coaches like some music to break up the boredom of the videos. So that is not a bad idea just play it safe when choosing.

5. No tee, soft toss from pitcher's view and from across the plate. And throw in 3-5 bunts.

There is no one answer for all the questions because so many coaches have different opinions on what they want to see. Once you get it together and sent out and they want to see more or something different they will let you know.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
First in any video should be the college level immediate skills she can bring to a program. The 'I can help you from day one with...."

We had a girl last year whose skills video started with her running the bases. Followed it with some game highlights of her slapping/bunting and then her stealing 2nd and home. Girls is a total speed demon and she put that out there for all to see.

Coaches want to know how you are going to help their program - and it is part of the skills video to showcase that.

Dec 20, 2012
Yeah, on the topic in an email catch there attention. VIDEO 2017 RHP!!!!!! or 2016 SLAPPER VIDEO!!! Put a cover slide on your video with your statistics Ht, Wt, gpa, ACT/SAT scores,position, graduation year,... If you are using youtube put more info in the "about" section. Pitch speeds, camps, accolades, contact info, HS info.... See so many that just say 2016 skills video and that is it. No contact info, no team info, nothing just some video of some kid.

And leave out game film. They don't want it or need it. Save it for ESPN.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
On your "softball resume" should you put where your numbers came from (verified). Ex. Fastball 70 mph (Pennsbury recruiting camp) I know a lot of people, as said in other threads, really exaggerate these.

Is it true that a coach will disregard someone immediately based on weight for position? A girl we know put her weight down as 20 lbs less than what she is because of this. She doesn't think they'd weigh her so she's not concerned about it. DD has busted her butt off and lost 15 lbs this year but still hasn't reached her goal.

True or False...We were told that if a school is interested, they would be sending out camp information and saying we could come for free. They can do this at any point during the year regardless of age.

Do coaches look at your recruiting video in slow motion?

Should you put tee swings on your video or not. NCSA says no and I think I agree, but Coach says yes...do it.

Any more insights from those that use NCSA? DD wants to do it, and it isn't a concern financially. Our friends really like it but they haven't really been using it long.

Thanks!

I think providing a source for you DDs measurables is a good idea. While they may be a little "juiced", they will typically be within the margin of error.

Most coaches look for a weight range based on height. Anyone outside the range may raise an eyebrow.

False - providing free camps is a violation of NCAA rules.

Putting a swing or pitch in slow motion is OK, but don't over do it. College coaches can evaluate swings and pitches in real time.

One or two swings off a tee or soft toss would be plenty.

We do not use NCSA.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yeah, on the topic in an email catch there attention. VIDEO 2017 RHP!!!!!! or 2016 SLAPPER VIDEO!!! Put a cover slide on your video with your statistics Ht, Wt, gpa, ACT/SAT scores,position, graduation year,... If you are using youtube put more info in the "about" section. Pitch speeds, camps, accolades, contact info, HS info.... See so many that just say 2016 skills video and that is it. No contact info, no team info, nothing just some video of some kid.

And leave out game film. They don't want it or need it. Save it for ESPN.

I am a big fan of game film showing an example of the skill at work. So if you are a big drop ball/change up pitcher showing this outside the game followed by showing a good sequence of pitches for an out against a quality batter I think adds value ("DD v Batter committed to X, pitch sequence for the out). Or if you are a slapper - show the speed, the technique out of the game and then an example of you getting the ball down and beating out the throw in a game.

The whole front toss for batting - I can't tell from a video how that is going to translate into a game, but it helps if I also see you cranking something way over the fence or similar (along with supporting stats).

Again this is all about the value of what you are showing.You are not showing skills or drills for the sake of showing them - it is meant to be a showcase of what you bring to the table. If something has real value and is well thought out, include it.

Dec 20, 2012
I am a big fan of game film showing an example of the skill at work. So if you are a big drop ball/change up pitcher showing this outside the game followed by showing a good sequence of pitches for an out against a quality batter I think adds value ("DD v Batter committed to X, pitch sequence for the out). Or if you are a slapper - show the speed, the technique out of the game and then an example of you getting the ball down and beating out the throw in a game.

The whole front toss for batting - I can't tell from a video how that is going to translate into a game, but it helps if I also see you cranking something way over the fence or similar (along with supporting stats).

Again this is all about the value of what you are showing.You are not showing skills or drills for the sake of showing them - it is meant to be a showcase of what you bring to the table. If something has real value and is well thought out, include it.

But it is not what you or I want it is what coaches want to see. Game film is a highlight real, you're obviously not going to show mistakes. The coaches want to see fundamentals and repeating those fundamentals. Do they do the same thing over and over? Do your skills fall in line with the way they coach or what they are looking for? If they like what they see they will come watch a game. They have no idea of who you are mowing down or beating a throw against. Game film can make avg player look like an all star with a little editing. While it may look impressive to us coaches see thru the BS. Additionally if you think a coach is going to sit thru more than a minute of game film you're wrong. To show an unedited sequence of pitches showing her setting up one batter is a WATE OF TIME! Additionally what you do on the field is only a portion of what they are looking for. How they interact with players, how they handle adversity, are they looking in the stands for parental guidance, can they travel without mom and dad, not to mention the academic side. None of that can be seen on game film. My dd team put 7 girls in D1 programs for this coming year. I did all but 1 of those girls videos and had not one request from a coach for game film. Not saying to put a HR or 2 in there at the end is a bad thing but game film is not what they are looking for when evaluating film.

Last edited:

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
But it is not what you or I want it is what coaches want to see. Game film is a highlight real, you're obviously not going to show mistakes. The coaches want to see fundamentals and repeating those fundamentals. Do they do the same thing over and over? Do your skills fall in line with the way they coach or what they are looking for? If they like what they see they will come watch a game. They have no idea of who you are mowing down or beating a throw against. Game film can make avg player look like an all star with a little editing. While it may look impressive to us coaches see thru the BS. Additionally if you think a coach is going to sit thru more than a minute of game film you're wrong. To show an unedited sequence of pitches showing her setting up one batter is a WATE OF TIME! Additionally what you do on the field is only a portion of what they are looking for. How they interact with players, how they handle adversity, are they looking in the stands for parental guidance, can they travel without mom and dad, not to mention the academic side. None of that can be seen on game film. My dd team put 7 girls in D1 programs for this coming year. I did all but 1 of those girls videos and had not one request from a coach for game film. Not saying to put a HR or 2 in there at the end is a bad thing but game film is not what they are looking for when evaluating film.

*shrug* The videos put together for the girls here locally all followed this format and it got them a lot of attention in terms of taking the next step (i.e. contact/coaches looking for more info) so I guess in those cases they were effective. Probably helped we had a strong group of players we were doing it for as well and that they were well organized in how they were gong about the recruiting process. You can add context easily enough (Batting against XXX committed to X, pitching against XXX, game from State Championship v ranked team, etc) - and yes, you are not going to include any bad game film and you should edit it down as far as you can - but then you are not going to show a bad set of front toss either or a wild pitch either- you are going to keep filming it until you are happy with what you have.

This year we are even looking at skills videos of players who committed to target schools of the players to see if there is anything we can see that caught that programs attention (thank you YouTube).

Dec 20, 2012
*shrug* The videos put together for the girls here locally all followed this format and it got them a lot of attention in terms of taking the next step (i.e. contact/coaches looking for more info) so I guess in those cases they were effective. Probably helped we had a strong group of players we were doing it for as well and that they were well organized in how they were gong about the recruiting process. You can add context easily enough (Batting against XXX committed to X, pitching against XXX, game from State Championship v ranked team, etc) - and yes, you are not going to include any bad game film and you should edit it down as far as you can - but then you are not going to show a bad set of front toss either or a wild pitch either- you are going to keep filming it until you are happy with what you have.

This year we are even looking at skills videos of players who committed to target schools of the players to see if there is anything we can see that caught that programs attention (thank you YouTube).

Like I said it is all subjective to who is watching. If a coach does want game film, they gonna get game film. Whatever we have to do to help the kids. If they want video of them cleaning the room then we are getting a dust pan and the Pledge. If you know a coach(es) is interested you can ask them exactly what they want. GOOD LUCK!

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Like I said it is all subjective to who is watching. If a coach does want game film, they gonna get game film. Whatever we have to do to help the kids. If they want video of them cleaning the room then we are getting a dust pan and the Pledge. If you know a coach(es) is interested you can ask them exactly what they want. GOOD LUCK!

Good luck getting video of my DD cleaning her room. If a college coach is looking for that they are going to be HUGELY disappointed.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad