9 yr old DD swing...what needs improving

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
I think she looks fine. I can't tell you what ought to make you happy, but I think most parents of 9yo players would be 'softball happy' if their DDs' swings looked like that.

SoftSocDad, Thanks, and you're right. I am very pleased with her swing and progress. I guess I used the wrong wording...it's not the extension that I'm worried about but more where the bat finishes. I'm afraid that she's going to bop herself in the head.

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
Agree with RichK. Also, I can't really tell because the video is a little dark and YouTube looks like it stripped some frames, but I'm interested with where she is at the PoC. It looks like the tee may be a little out in front, resulting in a slightly "armey" swing, but again, it is hard to tell in the video.

I agree with everyone else, she looks good and you have her on the right track.

Thanks. I see what you mean...It's pretty poorly lit in my garage and the frames do jump a bit. I'll see if I can get better video in the near future. In the meantime, I'll move the tee around and see how she does with inside, outside and middle locations.

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
OK, I'll bite : >

One thing she can improve is taking her hands BACK as she strides forward -- opposite directions. If you look at her now, she loads her hands and then takes them forward with her stride. Working on that won't mess up where she's at, you can add it bit by bit. Look for Wellphyt's posts with Slaught demonstrating this. It's something that's useful to start instilling early, I think, even if she doesn't get there immediately...

Beyond that, with girls at the point your DD is at, a great next step is to start moving the tee around and teaching inside/outside high/low pitches. You don't even need to "instruct" much but see if she can figure out the adjustments she'll have to make to hit the ball HARD in all those locations. You can spend a good amount of time just having fun moving the tee around, and then light front tossing to those locations too and seeing if she can hit "her spot."

Good luck to her, she looks like a hitter!

Thanks Rich. I appreciate the feedback. What I've tried to teach her is that the hands have an inverse relationship with the front foot, in that as your front foot comes up during the hip coil, your hands come down by about the same amount. And when the front foot moves forward, the hands should move up and back (load) so that your hands are fully loaded as you get to toe-touch. Not sure that's the best way to teach it or think about it (open to suggestions). Straightleg says it much better "hips go forward / hands go back." I'll have her synch that up better. Thanks again.

Oct 25, 2009
OK, I'll bite : >

One thing she can improve is taking her hands BACK as she strides forward -- opposite directions. If you look at her now, she loads her hands and then takes them forward with her stride. Working on that won't mess up where she's at, you can add it bit by bit. Look for Wellphyt's posts with Slaught demonstrating this. It's something that's useful to start instilling early, I think, even if she doesn't get there immediately...

Beyond that, with girls at the point your DD is at, a great next step is to start moving the tee around and teaching inside/outside high/low pitches. You don't even need to "instruct" much but see if she can figure out the adjustments she'll have to make to hit the ball HARD in all those locations. You can spend a good amount of time just having fun moving the tee around, and then light front tossing to those locations too and seeing if she can hit "her spot."

Good luck to her, she looks like a hitter!

I looked at it in slower motion and stopped it at toe touch. She IS separated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors