9 yr old DD swing...what needs improving

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
Been on this forum for a while reading as much as I can about the swing, experimenting with my swing, and then trying to teach my 2 daughters. Below is a video of my 9yr old dd who is in her first year of 10u. I'm hoping the experts here can help me fine tune (or overhaul if I've messed it up) her swing. I'm not sure she's maximizing her hip power during the uncoiling/firing phase in her swing, nor am I happy with her extension after contact, but I don't want to tinker any further until I get some more experienced eyes on her. Any insights, comments or observations would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Feb 14, 2010
I agree with FFS 100%, her swing is very nice for her age. Let her body figure some things out as she gets older. She has a very solid foundation of mechanics that she can grow into.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Looks good.

I was just saying on another post that I had downloaded the rvp app to my phone. I was thinking as I was watching the 12 NPF hitters that I downloaded that I bet 10 of the 12 (probably more like all 12) would get picked to shreds on DFP.

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
Wow, I'm glad to hear that her swing is in good shape. Been on here for 2 years quietly reading all the posts and back-and-forth between the power users (really helpful). The "Model swings" Sticky has been extremely helpful as well. I appreciate you taking the time to look at her swing, and if there are any small tweaks that could be made I'd be interested in hearing them. If not, then we'll probably begin working more on her timing, pitch recognition (strike vs. ball), and hitting inside, outside and middle pitches. Thanks again.

Mar 17, 2011
Virginia
That swing should be on the "Model swings" sticky!

It not only looks great, I'll bet she can feel it.

Thanks Phreak. She'll be so excited to see the positive comments here. And yes, she really can feel her swing. She's a little swing analyzer herself. We spend a lot of time talking about the sequence, what her body should be doing at what point in the swing, how that should feel and the desired result. We do a lot of dry swings and slo-mo (matrix) stuff and talk about what her body is doing and why. Not too much detail, but enough so that when she doesn't swing quite right, she has the capability to analyze in her head and make adjustments. Some sessions she's lucky if she gets to hit an entire bucket of balls :)

Sep 17, 2009
OK, I'll bite : >

One thing she can improve is taking her hands BACK as she strides forward -- opposite directions. If you look at her now, she loads her hands and then takes them forward with her stride. Working on that won't mess up where she's at, you can add it bit by bit. Look for Wellphyt's posts with Slaught demonstrating this. It's something that's useful to start instilling early, I think, even if she doesn't get there immediately...

Beyond that, with girls at the point your DD is at, a great next step is to start moving the tee around and teaching inside/outside high/low pitches. You don't even need to "instruct" much but see if she can figure out the adjustments she'll have to make to hit the ball HARD in all those locations. You can spend a good amount of time just having fun moving the tee around, and then light front tossing to those locations too and seeing if she can hit "her spot."

Good luck to her, she looks like a hitter!

May 13, 2008
Agree with RichK. Also, I can't really tell because the video is a little dark and YouTube looks like it stripped some frames, but I'm interested with where she is at the PoC. It looks like the tee may be a little out in front, resulting in a slightly "armey" swing, but again, it is hard to tell in the video.

I agree with everyone else, she looks good and you have her on the right track.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs