DD swing 12 years old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2017
Dad, She is a classic case of casting / dropping hands. It is a hard thing to relate to kids that you must attach from on top. Not "get on top" but attack from the top. The barrel must be below that hands for any ball that is not arm pit high, which means just about 90% of pitches. The really good players can identify a rise / high fastball and with a level to the ground bat destroy the ball that is high (armpit) but the hand path for the high pitch and the low pitch is the same. The angle changes. For a ball in the very lower part of the zone she mush have a bat angle of 25 to 30 degrees. Most strike zone pitches will have a 20 -30 degree angle.

Nov 18, 2018
Good morning, I was able to get some more swings on video this weekend. Please let me know what you think.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm seeing an arm-powered downward chop. A diet of "knob to the ball" instruction can easily lead a young hitter down this path. This pattern lacks power potential and creates a very small hitting zone.

What we want to see is the barrel pivoting around the hands, and connected with the body.

I've posted these two videos lots and lots of times for young hitters as a place to start in building a better sequence, and learning how to properly use the hands to turn the barrel.

Oct 2, 2017
This^^^^^. I would add that she is very upright and tall through out the entire swing. Every player is different, but we want the player to be in a athletic posture. Legs bent, with really good balance on our feet. What I always try and tell my DD is that we want to feel like we are in the ground, not just standing on the ground. If that makes any sense. The way I can tell with my DD is when she is in her stance, If I can knock her over easy then she is not in a athletic strong position. The same at toe touch.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Good morning, I was able to get some more swings on video this weekend. Please let me know what you think.

This isn’t too far off. Gotta get going forward before we swing. This is where the true ‘loading’ occurs.

See if this makes sense. If not, ask questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad