DD swing....any better???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
[video=youtube_share;jJPh652NCAQ]http://youtu.be/jJPh652NCAQ[/video]

DD has been working on getting to the ball quicker. She faces some very good pitchers that throw very hard for 12U and she tends to be late on most pitches. Her coach wanted her to be quicker to the ball by eliminating the stride and eliminating the "backside load" or negative motion while loading. My only problem with this is it seems she will lose some power by eliminating that load phase. I am basically wanting some input on this swing.....any help would be much appreciated!!!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Personally, I don't like them to go from being a statue, with no negative motion, into their swing. I think she needs some negative/coiling movement.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Sounds like the coach who told me, "There's no time to load in softball." Nonsense. Just get things started earlier. Make sure that on every pitch, she is swinging until she is not.

I think she would get more out of her hips if her feet weren't quite so far apart.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I like the negative motion this young lady uses. I have incorporated it in my own DD's swing. And, contrary to what her HS coaches told her, she's actually earlier, even too early to the ball, even on fast pitchers. So I believe it's complete nonsense that "There's no time to load in softball."

May 9, 2013
I think you are right. She may hit more balls this way but they will be weak infield hits that are easy plays for the defense. She needs to start earlier with a load and work on her timing rather than shorten up this much.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
[video=youtube_share;9sgLFE17qbs]http://youtu.be/9sgLFE17qbs[/video]

This was from a few days ago....is this more of what we need to be doing with the load phase?

May 9, 2013
LOL 2nd Swing much better and not too long. She needs to keep this swing and work on it. If she's too late she needs to start earlier which is common in young inexperienced hitters. She can't wait until ball is being released to load which she could get away with on slow pitching or front toss. Make sure bat is not too heavy or too long (which it may not be) and then have her practice as much as possible with fast pitching to find her rhythm/timing and proper time to start load.

Jan 25, 2011
The train always leaves the station. Every pitch is a strike until she knows it isn't. Dd has been very successful with that. She isn't late, the negative is slow back and the hips are going forward. If it isn't a strike she holds up the hands or the top half. She has had a few check swings that she couldn't hold back, but she also has mastered the foul off pitch pretty well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors