DD swing 12 years old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2018
Hello everyone. I have been looking around this site for some time and I always like the feedback everyone gives here. So I thought it was time to get some advice on my own for my DD swing. We are really working on knob to the ball and having her explode with her legs. I understand that this is just tee work but any help would be much appreciated.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
First of all...Welcome to DFP! :)

When you say "knob to the ball", do you mean pushing the knob forward towards the ball before snapping the barrel? If so, my advice is to stop, and spend some time educating yourself on proper sequence and turning the barrel.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Need video from the side and with the ball tossed. Your DD is what I call quick twitch hitter. Hands kinda tell the body(torso ) what to do. THere are many successful hitter like that employ that style. She is swinging down and across(especially on 2nd swing) I believe in long tee practice would be beneficial for her. This is when she hits off the tee but out in the feild where she can see the balls trajectory. Her goal would be to hit line drives that reach the grass in the air consistently. I am more fond of the slow to explode- dance with the pitcher (Josh Donaldson ) type swing. When doing tee work she should look out at the imaginary pitcher.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Quick twitch, in the way that terms is usually used (which is different that what you are describing), is typically considered good..you just need to know when in the swing to apply that gift.
WHen I say quick twitch I mean they start from a dead stop or have very little load. She rocks the U a little but I think she is leaving a lot on the table.

Jun 8, 2016
WHen I say quick twitch I mean they start from a dead stop or have very little load. She rocks the U a little but I think she is leaving a lot on the table.
Right..I deleted what I wrote as it wasn't really important. Only that your use of quick twitch to describe a swing type is a little nonstandard as typically that phrase is used to describe the sort of dominant muscle type an athlete has.

Sep 29, 2014
It's odd her swing looks better in slo mo but live speed looks quick and handsy.

Side view with a pitcher or machine would be best. It looks like her set up at toe touch isn't bad but again hard to tell.

One thing that stand out is she is bringing her hands down low to the ball, her hands are technically above the ball but she should be using more angle and less drop the hands.

The other biggest issue I see and again it is hard to tell from the angle and I only ever remember seeing this once before is she is actually stepping backwards, no stride is OK but it looks like her heel start in one spot then when she lifts it up and puts it down the heel is actually back, I tried doing that myself and it seems just so unnatural but I will withhold judgement until I get a side view.

Lots of good stuff though just needs a little work on fully engaging her lower half and then work out the dropping hands thing and then see where she is at...IMO

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Hello everyone. I have been looking around this site for some time and I always like the feedback everyone gives here. So I thought it was time to get some advice on my own for my DD swing. We are really working on knob to the ball and having her explode with her legs. I understand that this is just tee work but any help would be much appreciated.

It’s not a bad start imo.

If you get some front toss swings or machine swings. It would be easier to point you in the right direction. Best from the side.

But for now. Hit oppo off the tee. Also don’t fixate on the ball. Have her stare at an imaginary pitcher and pretend she’s being pitched to. It will help her overall rhythm and flow.

Try an oldie but goodie. You are looking for line drives. Not grounders and not fly balls.

Here’s another that works great. It’s a toss drill though. Don’t hit the tee. Keeps her path short and direct. Great drill. Angle toss is another good one.

Nov 18, 2018
Thank for all the advise so far. We will be hitting again tonight and I will get some more video of her on front toss and tee work from the side. I will post as as I can. Thanks again for the help all.

Aug 20, 2017
Like others have said with rock the U tempo needs to slow down. During the stride I like to see the butt going out and chest going over some (more athletic and tension in legs). This posture will allow the shoulders to tilt some of she maintains it long enough (doesn’t come off the ball). She currently is cutting across the ball (never gets good extension barrel following ball) which is typical of hitters with bad posture. Once she can feel butt out and chest over during stride and anchoring to the ground, make sure she maintains that posture into contact. It’s an easy fix that will help with sequence. I wouldn’t talk about the hands very much. Focus on legs, balance, and being athletic.

Nov 18, 2018
Like others have said with rock the U tempo needs to slow down. During the stride I like to see the butt going out and chest going over some (more athletic and tension in legs). This posture will allow the shoulders to tilt some of she maintains it long enough (doesn’t come off the ball). She currently is cutting across the ball (never gets good extension barrel following ball) which is typical of hitters with bad posture. Once she can feel butt out and chest over during stride and anchoring to the ground, make sure she maintains that posture into contact. It’s an easy fix that will help with sequence. I wouldn’t talk about the hands very much. Focus on legs, balance, and being athletic.

Yes you are right. I have been talking all lower body and balance with her but her hitting instructor has been talking hands. I am going to talk to her hitting coach tonight and provide a little of the feedback of what is being seen. Thanks for the advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi