8 soon to be 9yo pitcher advice.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
Definately follow through, both arm and body... Do you teach "finishing square" Amy? I would be concerned with return fire with this motion...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Do you teach "finishing square" Amy?

Essentially, yes. I tell them that their job isn't complete, just because they pitched and at that point they have to get into a fielding position. Most of my students, drag to get there, but some are more comfortable finishing in a 4.

But this young lady needs a pitching coach with some patience, that isn't going to gripe at her. I am afraid that she will quit all together. I suspect that is dad making the comments, but not telling or showing her how to do what he wants.

Jul 26, 2010
She's 8. Just make sure she's having fun, try to get her to relax and flow right now so she doesn't hurt herself. If she's serious about pitching get her a pitching coach.

-W

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Remember she is 9!!! Just work on her finishing her pitch. Remind her to trust her mechanics and just the the ball go. Hopefully, that will help with her fighting her arm. Also, most of her pitches are missing to the left because that is where her body is aiming the pitch. But most importantly remember she is only NINE. With hard work it come. She doesn't have to be a superstar today or tomorrow, but YEARS down the road. It is a process.

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
I agree with Quake & Starsnuffer... she's 9 ... basic mechanics of starting and finishing "square" and proper grip and follow thru cannot be introduced too early IMHO...

Feb 4, 2009
Thanks for the input.

Q. The "jerk" back follow thru has slowly ingrained itself during this fall season. She really does follow thru well on her various drills(T's, K's don't do much stationary/isolation type stuff). Could this possibly be somewhat attributed to having the ball hit at her?
Her previous pitching experience was in the local rec 10u this summer and there was very little contact made. Some games she pitched well and some were pretty bad but in each case very rarely was a ball put in play.
Now with her new team playing other travel teams the ball is being put in play, the older teams especially . I was basically curious if this could have something to do with the short follow thru??

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Thanks for the input.

Q. The "jerk" back follow thru has slowly ingrained itself during this fall season. She really does follow thru well on her various drills(T's, K's don't do much stationary/isolation type stuff). Could this possibly be somewhat attributed to having the ball hit at her?
Her previous pitching experience was in the local rec 10u this summer and there was very little contact made. Some games she pitched well and some were pretty bad but in each case very rarely was a ball put in play.
Now with her new team playing other travel teams the ball is being put in play, the older teams especially . I was basically curious if this could have something to do with the short follow thru??

If you are asking is the ball being put in play because of her not following through, I would say no. I would say the main reason the is being hit is because she isn't play rec ball anymore. Travel ball is a whole new animal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi