43' to 40'

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
Our #1 pitcher pitches 43' during the week and 40' during tournaments. She is throwing the ball a little high at 40', (understandably) is this just to be expected until HS ball is over and she is pitching at only 40'?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD has pitched from both this Spring and the release point should be the same for both. Biggest difference is the batter has an extra split second to see the pitch and good movement pitches will break an extra 2-3".

Jul 26, 2010
Most pitchers don't have a problem with it, however it often screws up batters. They tend to be early and on the front foot at 43 feet.

Most of the teams I know at 14u gave up on ASA to play ISA, Premier, or USSSA instead at 14u for this reason. We'll see if they go back to ASA for 16 or 18G.

-W

Aug 2, 2008
My DD has pitched from both this Spring and the release point should be the same for both

How could it be? from 40 to 43' the pitch does drop some, how much, ?? but it does drop. She pitches the most right now from 43', when suddenly at 40 the pitches are higher in the zone. Again I dont know how much but even 2 or 3 inches is huge, alot closer to the wheelhouse.
(edited to add: I get it now, release should be the same)

Most pitchers don't have a problem with it,....starsnuffer

That would leave some that do, it seems I have one that does :). Any Idea how I can help her?

Don't talk release point. Let the adjustment happen...screwball

Agree, I am thinking more release angle.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
If you practice accuracy drills more often, IE pitching to the 4 corners, then the pitcher will learn how to self-adjust much better and quicker when she's pitching high or low.

You have a pitcher with an issue throwing high consistently at a particular distance. You can troubleshoot the symptom and make all sorts of adjustments and band-aids, or you can work on why she doesn't seem to be able to adjust on her own. The latter will serve her far better later on. She's probably where she is from throwing pitches to spots one height off the ground (say knee high) over and over and over again.

-W

Oct 22, 2009
Most pitchers don't have a problem with it, however it often screws up batters. They tend to be early and on the front foot at 43 feet.

Most of the teams I know at 14u gave up on ASA to play ISA, Premier, or USSSA instead at 14u for this reason. We'll see if they go back to ASA for 16 or 18G.

-W

I have more experience with this. Not so much problem with the pitchers, more problems with hitters adjusting.
I also keep my pitchers throwing breaking pitches at 40' in class, and they all say they have no problems with them at 43'.

Jul 26, 2010
I've given up on actually telling the pitchers the distance. Often with indoor facilities or just the act of finding a practice field, the rubber is always in a different spot. I've learned that if I don't tell them, there's no problem, but if I tell them, all sorts of issues develop. It's clearly a mental issue for them, I think.

Yes, it's true that changing speed and really fast pitches have more of an impact at 40' and breaking pitches have more of an impact at 43', but since we're teaching them at this age, and not necessarily overly concerned with winning games, I just take the route of not telling them and letting them walk away with "wow my curve was on fire today".

-W

Jan 20, 2010
Hate, Hate, Hate 40 feet at 14u in ASA......These girls are playing HS ball at 43......NSA is at 43.....get with the program ASA. We are playing more NSA this year due to that fact alone........

Jul 26, 2010
With Premier and USSSA holding their national championships in California, and the 40' pitching distance at 14u with ASA, most clubs out here aren't seeing the point of going to BFE South Dakota or Texas or wherever the "Western Nationals" get held, when they can go do them in SoCal instead, and get the TV time. I hear you there, Rooster.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06