2nd base- Universal coaches DD position?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
This is easy to verify. Check the online roster of any team and match up the last names. On most teams you will find a coaches DD at 2B. Most often it says "2B/OF", but we all know that OF is only there as filler. They are never really in the OF.

Jul 25, 2015
Coach, You nailed #2 to a tee. And it doesn't matter if dad coach knows she is a liability at 2nd. If momma ain't happy...

Lol, DD's HC gained a lot of respect from me early this past season on this very subject. Team was up comfortably in a pool game and HC put his DD in to pitch for some experience (she is a serviceable pitcher but did not have the mound time the other pitcher's had). She struggled and "mom" got up and said something to HC, which I could not hear. I was sitting next to the dugout keeping the book and at the end of the inning she comes back to the fence and I hear her say "you need to pull her now!" HC turns to the fence and says "Either sit down and watch the game, or pack your stuff up and go home but do not come back to this fence and say anything else to me either way." I acted like I did not hear it but I figured it was not over. However, "mom" sat back down and did not even approach the fence for the remainder of the tournament. HC must have laid the law down to her at home as well, because she never approached the fence again for the rest of the season. In all my years of being around softball, that was the first and only time I ever knew of a HC standing up to an unhappy wife.

Jun 12, 2015
I tend to not interfere with any coaching stuff going on (my husband was an AC on our rec team last year, our last travel team, and on our current travel team). I have had a chat with him after a game when I felt like he did something he should not have done and I stand by that even now. That said, if he told me to sit down and shut up it would not go over well. Maybe because I say something so rarely, that when I do he better listen. lol

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD plays 2nd on her school team, she would rather play OF.

She thinks 2nd is where you put players to get them some IF innings. I just cannot get that out of her head.

1st game this year she was going to be a platoon player at 2nd, it was a mess when they took her out and she never sat a game again. She doesn’t see it that way.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
My DD plays 2nd on 18u tourney team. SS in high school. 2nd isn't as easy as people think it is. 2B covers 1st on bunts. Some bang bang plays there. You got slappers couple of bang, bang plays also. Not sure how you 'hide' a player there. Not sure how you 'hide' a player there with a bad arm neither. Not really sure what position a coach can 'hide' a weak player. The ball doesn't know that and it will find you at some point in the game. JMHO.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
My DD plays 2nd on 18u tourney team. SS in high school. 2nd isn't as easy as people think it is. 2B covers 1st on bunts. Some bang bang plays there. You got slappers couple of bang, bang plays also. Not sure how you 'hide' a player there. Not sure how you 'hide' a player there with a bad arm neither. Not really sure what position a coach can 'hide' a weak player. The ball doesn't know that and it will find you at some point in the game. JMHO.

I think this is exactly the point we are making. At 10U and 12U, it is where weak players are given infield time. As you get older, that is just not the case. HS second basemen were SS and third basemen at younger ages. If your DD plays 2B up through 14U becasue she has a weak arm, and also does not hit, she will not sniff 2B on a HS or college team.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I haven’t broken it down but I think 2nd has more responsibilities than any other position on the field. Being in the right place depending on what is going on is a huge part of the position. There is nothing easy about 2nd if you play it well. Catching and throwing is a small part of playing the position.

Jul 25, 2015

At your DD's age, it is not typically a "hide a player" spot and really past 12U any coach that is hiding a player is doing the rest of the team a disservice. Any position on the field can have a significant impact on any game at any single point in time. DD#2's team lost a game this year in the finals of an NIT because of some outstanding plays in RF - not the only reason the game was lost but it dang sure stopped momentum in its tracks. If that coach had been hiding a player in RF, the game would have easily been won. What I wonder is if the parents of the girl playing RF in that game were upset because she was playing RF?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not sure what age you are playing but 10U and under OF is lousy, 12U it starts to get interesting, 14U and above they better be able to play well or you are going to lose. It takes a little while to shift the players and parents prospective.

This year when DD pitched the players were fighting each other to play the OF, they knew they would see a lot of action.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
This year when DD pitched the players were fighting each other to play the OF, they knew they would see a lot of action.
Funny...then my DD was her 'twin sister'. That's probably why she hides at second.:rolleyes:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06