2nd base- Universal coaches DD position?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
2B is the position where you stick the weakest arm in the infield. Because DD's of "daddy ball" teams often are playing up above their age-appropriate level without the skills to back that decision up, this is where they play, more offen than not.

The "weak kid at 2B" mentality costs outs. Put a good fielder with a decent arm at that position, and not only do you get ALL of the routine plays (which get booted sometimes by the weaker player), but the difficult plays become outs more often, too.

Last spring, in 10U rec, I had a great SS and a very good 2B. I put my weaker fielder at 3B. My instruction to 3B was "stop the ball, keep control of it, and get it back to the pitcher". Way more often than not, the few balls hit to 3B were singles, and the many balls hit to 2B were outs.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The "weak kid at 2B" mentality costs outs. Put a good fielder with a decent arm at that position, and not only do you get ALL of the routine plays (which get booted sometimes by the weaker player), but the difficult plays become outs more often, too.

Last spring, in 10U rec, I had a great SS and a very good 2B. I put my weaker fielder at 3B. My instruction to 3B was "stop the ball, keep control of it, and get it back to the pitcher". Way more often than not, the few balls hit to 3B were singles, and the many balls hit to 2B were outs.

Totally agree - in rec before 14U, your 2B HAS to make every easy play and some extra ones. Rec outs from 3B are a rarity unless you have some travel girl playing there. Even in travel, it is absolutely critical you get guaranteed outs from 2B - including the easy bunt coverage ones.

I find that not getting the out from the play at 2B is the root cause of the majority of 'big innings' you give up. You absolutely better have someone who can make the plays there.

We are thrilled if some opposition DD coach puts his DD @ 2B and she isn't capable of handling it.

Jun 7, 2013
On a good team, 2B is a very important position. However, it does seem to be a common "daddy ball" position for the coaches DD.

Jun 12, 2015
I have noticed the weakest infielder at 2nd phenomenon. We picked up with a team and my dd played short. Their 2B was a little ball of fire and she and my dd clicked right away. Out, out, out. They were a great team. Seems like a better arrangement to me.

Jan 23, 2014
I have experienced this phenomen myself. Seems to be 2 kinds of HC we've come across. On the teams with overall better talent it has been the 2b HC kid- keeping in mind we've just moved up to 12u. First team she wasn't the best for the position, looks like she plays more OF now and does well. Our new team the coach's DD plays 2b, looks to be very good. These girls were both on the smaller side, so naturally when they started they probably had arms that weren't as strong at the time as the girls who grow earlier, so I can see how they started at 2b and developed there. The other HC phenomen is my daughter plays 1st or 3rd even though she can't catch or throw. This years HC the daughter was a pitcher, but since the team was forced up to b she wasn't ready to pitch. Coach did recognize that, but I think to pacify daughter started playing her at 3rd. She's a really good OF, good glove. Grounders weren't Her thing, and neither was throwing. So 3b not so good. Our last rec team coach's kid played 1b even though she couldn't really, you know, catch. But that's ok bc she pitched too��
My dd is also a p/1B-the 1B comes from having a pretty good glove and being 3 inches taller than everyone. What's going to happen when everyone starts catching up to her? I'd prefer her to get more reps elsewhere but for now, that's her home away from the circle.

Aug 8, 2010
Dang, you guys got me second guessing myself. I am the HC and DD does in fact play 2B. However, I don't think I'm Daddy Balling it. She is quick and aggressive with a great glove and accurate arm, but not a cannon. Knows all the movement and coverages. I saw the thread and thought "oh no.....", LOL

ian

Jun 11, 2015
AC DD plays 2nd. He commented he doesnt want her to play SS because he wants to save her pitching arm. She does good at 2nd, no way she could play SS.

The 12u team was worse. HC DD at SS and only SS. Decent fielder with NO arm and limited range. To hide the non existent arm he put an even weaker player at 2nd. Cost us several games. It was sad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06