2nd base- Universal coaches DD position?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
My dd p, ss ,3rd. I should've had our hc move her to 2nd though because we got killed there w errors of all kinds mental and physical this year. If a ball was hit to or had to be thrown to 2nd it was 50/50 wed get an out.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
2B is the position where you stick the weakest arm in the infield. Because DD's of "daddy ball" teams often are playing up above their age-appropriate level without the skills to back that decision up, this is where they play, more offen than not.

Jun 7, 2013
2B is the position where you stick the weakest arm in the infield. Because DD's of "daddy ball" teams often are playing up above their age-appropriate level without the skills to back that decision up, this is where they play, more offen than not.

I have seen this a lot myself. A weaker fielder would, probably, stick out more at 3B or SS, especially if the can't make the throw.

Jun 11, 2013
We had to talk our AC into moving his DD to 2nd. She did very well, but he actually went out and recruited a family friend that is even better knowing it would cost his DD the spot at second.

My bigger issue is how many kids who can't handle failure want to play SS. I can see the stress it puts on them and can't figure out why the want to play there.

One reason I think you see a lot of Coaches kids play 2nd is that it's a position that requires a lot of softball intelligence and often the coach rightly or wrongly believes his kid
knows how to play better than most.

Feb 17, 2014
DD's team last year in order of time at position.

HC - 2B/OF
AC - 1B
AC - OF/C
AC - OF/P

The AC with the 1B insists she plays 1B because she's a lefty, still in the mindset that infield is the most important. Kid would be a great outfielder.

This year will be different since DD's team is coached 100% by ex-college players who don't have any kids on the team.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
This year will be different since DD's team is coached 100% by ex-college players who don't have any kids on the team.

That always depends on who hired the ex-college players and who they answer to (i.e. is there a parent manager behind the scenes)

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I too was one of the culprits at an early age... DD played 2B, until it was painfully realized she couldn't field a ground ball (about 2nd year 12's), then she was moved to OF, and really fell in love with that position. Played OF for the rest of her time.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
That always depends on who hired the ex-college players and who they answer to (i.e. is there a parent manager behind the scenes)

Yep. My dd's first year 12u team was coached by a recently graduated college player. Nice girl, and knowledgeable, but had a hard time standing up for herself. There was a "team manager" that had a girl that was 10u age playing up (had no business). Well, Ms "manager" would some times go over to the board before games and erase names and move players positions around. She insisted that her 10u player was always at second. Coach let it happen until enough parents complained.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06