2nd base- Universal coaches DD position?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2015
HC - bench/of/2b for 2 innings/c for 1 inning
AC - p/1st
AC - SS/p

My daughter was 7 playing 10u. Had never played any form of ball. She sat a lot as she learned the game. Shows a lot of promise. Was able to get in and catch my number 1 who throws hard. Only one other girl was willing to catch her. This year she will play some outfield, is my 4th string catcher, and maybe will get a few innings at 2nd. With no 8u options locally not many options for the younger ones. She hangs in there well. Pushes the older kids for their spots. But until she is clearly better she will remain in the outfield.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Short and 2nd are the preferred pos for non pitchers from what I've seen, but you can't keep them there as they get older(12u up) if you want to keep a team winning, unless they deserve to be there, too much goes on up the middle not to have your best infielders there.

Last edited:

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
I hate to generalize but, the way I see it, there are 3 kinds of coaches who coach their daughters ...

1) The real athletic coaches who have good genes and whose daughters are also great athletes ... many of their DD's play P or SS, and they deserve to be there, even though the coaches will still get accused of daddy ball by other parents whose daughters aren't very good. Surprisingly, this is actually the most common type of parent coaches making up 56.425% of all parent coaches ... they were drawn to coaching because of their athleticism and/or own experience, and they work hard with their daughters, but they still get grief.

2) The smart daddy ball coaches ... their DD's aren't very good, and they're smart enough to know it, so they try to hide her somewhere in an OF corner position or at 2B, because they know her lack of skills will show up more glaringly on the left side of the infield, pitcher or catcher. If their wives run the household, the DD usually plays 2B vs. the OF. The problem is that even though the arm isn't as important at 2B, many teams have more balls hit there than any other position. This is the least common type of parent coach and make up 19.738% of all such coaches.

3) The clueless daddy ball coaches ... their DD's aren't very good, but they play them wherever their daughters want to play ... most frequently at SS or 1B, depending on whether the DD is smart enough to know that she can't throw. The problem here is that 1B is underrated as a defensive position. If the DD plays SS, this team will fold after 1 season if they even make it that far. These coaches make up 23.837% of parent coaches.

OK .... I admit ... I made up those %'s ... and yeah, when I coached, I was in the first group of course and my DD pitched. :)

Last edited:
May 5, 2014
Pacific Northwest
HC - 2b/OF
AC - 2b/OF
AC - SS

This worked out great for use and the primary reason we choose the team as my DD pitches and plays a little 3b & OF. I do see a fair amount of coaches DD at 2b in this area.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
HC -- 2B and OF. The team made too many errors, so a decent glove but not a great arm went to 2B.
AC -- C and CF. Decent arm.

DD -- P, SS, 3B, etc.

So, pitcher parents and SS parents are crazy????????????????????????????????

DD 1 was once on a team where the HC DD played P and SS. To be fair, she was the best P and best SS on the team.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
DD's very first team (8U rec) was the only one she has been on where HC's kid was the primary 2B. Then again, we have been lucky enough (so far) to be with HC's that are pretty realistic about their kid's abilities, and have done a good job assembling the defensive puzzle with the best available players at each position.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06