2013 ASA council meeting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
Does anyone have the agenda items for proposed rule changes? Not sure if they have been released yet. I have heard rumor of that they were looking into moving the pitching distance to 43' for the 14U's this year. Anyone in the know?

Jan 24, 2011
Does anyone have the agenda items for proposed rule changes? Not sure if they have been released yet. I have heard rumor of that they were looking into moving the pitching distance to 43' for the 14U's this year. Anyone in the know?

Not sure about the agenda , but I do know that keeping the pitching distance at 40' for 14u is really hampering the success of ASA in my area. A lot of teams skip ASA in favor of USSSA , USFA , etc. just because of this rule

Jul 26, 2010
Every year this comes up, and it's yet to even be formally proposed at the ASA meeting. My suggestion is that if you actually want this to happen, start lobbying your regional commissioners now.

-W

Jan 20, 2010
If ASA does not come up to speed with the other organizations, I will not be playing ASA any longer. Tell your regional commissioner that.....I did.....Told him I would spend my money at NSA and USSSA and pitch from where our team will at the HS level at 43. It's a stupid rule and does not help the girls. Move Junior High back too for all those nah sayers.

Jan 18, 2011
Our league moved the 14u back to 43 on their own. Lobby your league.

But I guess that doesn't help the Tournys though.

Well at least the league gets it.

We are with PONY so we are OK, is ASA the only holdout? Scary enough from 40ft, I've coached baseball and softball on and off for 15 years and my closest near death experience was BP yesterday from 40ft from a 11yr old girl with a CF5 that I caught an inch from my face and literally knocked me down or maybe it's just that I'm getting older and slower.

Jun 22, 2008
From another forum

Propsed Rule Changes

Well, nothing earth shattering with the rule changes this year. Some are recycled, some just looking to clarify things.

There are about a half dozen each for moving the PP to 43' for 14U and allowing metal spikes for a variety of levels of JO ball not presently allowed. There is a handful to move the PP in SP to 53' and a couple to create the pitcher's box (with which I still have an enforcement issue).

There is a proposal to allow up to 2 EPs in JO ball and unlimited re-entry in JO pool play (except Gold)

Others include mandating the 52/300 for the men's SP game only; Removing "headbands" as headgear, comparing them to socks and stirrups; Changing the requirement that all team hat and visors be of the same color, to all being any one of the team's official colors (i.e., a team with a red, white & blue uniform color scheme could wear either red, white or blue headgear);

This one will always get me: requiring the pitcher and corners to where facemasks with a note that any defensive player may wear protective equipment. Well, that has always been the case, and I certainly believe more people will be taken back by the shirt storm mandating a specific, NOCSAE-approved mask will cause. Remember when happened when all the parents had to buy new cages for the daughter's batting helmet?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I have seen the proposed rule changes for ASA and there are NINE proposals to move the 14u pitching distance to 43 feet.
There is also a proposal to move the 10u pitching distance to 40 feet, but keep the 11 inch ball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Every year this comes up, and it's yet to even be formally proposed at the ASA meeting. My suggestion is that if you actually want this to happen, start lobbying your regional commissioners now.

-W

This just isn't true. It has been a proposed change for some level of 14U at one level or another for at least the past three years.

There have been numerous reasons I recall being given, but I think most folks do not agree with the association of this level of player routinely plays HS ball since many 14U players are 11-13 yo

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06