2 scorekeeping questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
1) Ball is grounded to pitcher who throws to first. Throw goes into the dirt well in front of and directly to first baseman but is not fielded. Batter/Runner would have been out if play was made. Who does error go to, pitcher or first baseman?

2) Hard line drive to right field. Fielder is rushing the ball and tries to scoop it as it hits the ground. Ball goes under fielders glove and to the fence for 3 bases. Error on the fielder?

There was disagreement about who gets the error in both cases, I just want to get them right. BTW, my kid is in the dugout on both plays.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Pitcher, error on the throw.

RF - technically, no. But, I don't know if you were playing rec, ASA or what. But, in everyone's mind it is an error.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Without seeing the plays tough to tell.

Like Amy says most times first one will be E1 on the throw if it hits the ground first.

On second could be straight E9, could be 1B with 2 base error allowing runner to advance or could be triple depending on the play. Most likely one of the later two.

First play is always going to be an error on the pitcher if you throw the ball into the ground there is no longer an expectation of an out and its your fault.

Second play if the ball bounces in front of the right fielder that is scored a base hit, it is then the judgement of the scorekeeper whether or not the right fielder should have made the play, if the ball literally goes under her glove and she is not diving or anything it would probably be scored an error giving the BR two bases 2nd and 3rd but the scorekeeper might have seen it as a hard line drive that got by the fielder and scored it a triple. I wold think it would be doubtful that a straight error on the right fielder would be given on a line drive.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2011
SW Florida
First one would be scored an E1, unless the 1b did not come off of the bag to field the ball and in the scorers opinion, could have made the play. Then, depending on how your score keeper sees it, could be E1/E3
The second play: Being it was a line drive to right field, I want to know where 2b or 1 b was at. Did they (or should they have had) an opportunity to make the play? If an infielder goes to cover a bag on contact instead of seeing where the ball goes first, that too is an error. E3 or E4 before it becomes RF's problem?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Did they (or should they have had) an opportunity to make the play? If an infielder goes to cover a bag on contact instead of seeing where the ball goes first, that too is an error. E3 or E4 before it becomes RF's problem?

Not in any scoring system I've ever seen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13