Curious if there is a rule on this play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
The video did not work. Sorry. I will try to explain instead.

There are break away bases on this field in question.

Runners on 1st and 2nd base. Bunt to the pitcher, the pitcher makes a wild throw to the SS covering 3rd base, and the ball goes into the outfield past the left fielder. As the runner on 2nd base slides into 3rd base, 3rd base becomes dislodged, and the base ends up about 6 feet into foul territory. The runner on 1st base originally comes all the way around to score.

My question is where is the base runner that started on 1st base required to touch 3rd base when it has become dislodged from it normal position? Pretty odd play that happened in the LLWS. Just curious.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta
The runners can use an imaginary base where the base usually is. In USA softball it is rule 8-3-C “When a runner dislodges a base from its normal position, that runner and trailing runners in the same series of plays are not compelled to follow a base out of position.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
The runners can use an imaginary base where the base usually is. In USA softball it is rule 8-3-C “When a runner dislodges a base from its normal position, that runner and trailing runners in the same series of plays are not compelled to follow a base out of position.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I expected the rule to say. In the video that I saw the kid ran into foul territory and touched the dislodged base. I would imagine either way would be fine in an odd case like that play. First time I watched the video I was wondering why the kid was so far out of what would be the normal lane of base running. Then I noticed what actually happened.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles