14u....what does each OF position mean?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2014
Thanks canyon....My DD actually loves the OF. She works hard at it since she hadn't done it until this season. She pitches too...but we've really focused on hitting this season. She's done well. Hitting in the 3 hole.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
What others have said. If good competition can't really hide a truly weak player, but generally a slightly weaker OF is going to play LF unless starting pitcher is someone who the other team is going to hit hard and pull the ball on.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One thing you can usually count on...Wherever you weakest OF is playing, that's where most of the hits will go. That's how it seems to work for our team, anyway. :(

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
One thing you can usually count on...Wherever you weakest OF is playing, that's where most of the hits will go. That's how it seems to work for our team, anyway. :(

Exactly. Remember in 10U when you used to hide your weakest player in RF? Man those days are gone, I love watching great outfielders now, my DD is a freshman and has only ever pitched and played MI, the outfield positions have killed us this school year, especially the corners. No place to hide now, as Eric said the ball will find you !

Jun 11, 2013

Even if they don't all go to your weak spot, when the game is on the line it will go there.

May 12, 2014
Haha....no kidding Eric. When DD first started playing OF this year....darn near every deep hit went at her and the results....misjudged hits, drops, etc. She's worked on OF on her "off" days and now makes great catches (more comfortable). And now that she wants the ball hit her way...it rarely happens.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Haha....no kidding Eric. When DD first started playing OF this year....darn near every deep hit went at her and the results....misjudged hits, drops, etc. She's worked on OF on her "off" days and now makes great catches (more comfortable). And now that she wants the ball hit her way...it rarely happens.

I think the ball can smell fear, and is attracted to it.

Dec 27, 2014
Here is a backing up question for the older teams. DD team is a first year 12u. Against an average hitter, and one of our stronger pitchers, we position the OF's roughly 20ish feet deep in the OF (say 120 - 130' with normally a 210' fence). From here most of our RF's can still back up 1b. Sometimes circumstance has us position RF much deeper. Is RF still expected to BU 1b?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877