14 inch softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2008
Has anyone used a 14 inch softball to work on ball spins? If so what kind of success did you have and do you think its a good training tool and why?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD's PC has her using a 14" and a 16" softball to work on spins. She says it forces her mechanics to be perfect in order for the spin to work correctly. It's worked for her.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes. All players warm up with it, not just pitchers. We go 16 inch, then 14 inch and then, 12 inch. They always say "This seems small." I tell them, that is my point. Also, it is fun and it doesn't add any weight to the ball.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I think that they are counter productive. What happens is that the ball is too big for their hands and therefore by necessity the pitcher must alter the way they hold and throw the ball, defeating the whole purpose of engaging this thing in the first place.

Feb 16, 2012
My DD's pitching coach uses one when her mechanics get out of whack on her spin. It takes less than 10 pitches with that ball to get her back where she needs to be. Since I catch her for her lessons I can see a difference in her spin when she goes back to the regular sized ball.

Jan 25, 2011
I think that they are counter productive. What happens is that the ball is too big for their hands and therefore by necessity the pitcher must alter the way they hold and throw the ball, defeating the whole purpose of engaging this thing in the first place.
I have to agree with your view on this subject.My dd has tried a 14" ball and it didn't seem to make a improvment and affected her mech. not worth it for her,maybe others have better luck,but not for my dd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd