13 Y.O. open for discussion.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP, IMO there needs to be balance within the frontal/sagittal plane which will allow the body to be dynamically balanced through out the sequence. IOW's the un-tipping element needs to happen within the sagittal plane while moving forward in space.. This will allow the sitting action to be dynamic.

I agree with the balance comments. Failure to maintain balance in the frontal/sagittal plane results in a hitter laying on the ground ;) I guess I am looking at the un-tipping element occurring after the sitting action starts. So in a sense, I guess you could say that I am suggesting the balanced sitting action is what allows the un-tipping to occur at the moment you want it to. The un-tipping is what is being delayed. Hopefully you can understand that, because I think I just confused myself... :confused:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I agree with the balance comments. Failure to maintain balance in the frontal/sagittal plane results in a hitter laying on the ground ;) I guess I am looking at the un-tipping element occurring after the sitting action starts. So in a sense, I guess you could say that I am suggesting the balanced sitting action is what allows the un-tipping to occur at the moment you want it to. The un-tipping is what is being delayed. Hopefully you can understand that, because I think I just confused myself... :confused:

FP, the un-tipping sagittal actions allows for the barrel to keep working(un-tipping) in the s-plane during the sitting action.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP, the un-tipping sagittal actions allows for the barrel to keep working(un-tipping) in the s-plane during the sitting action.

I may be misunderstanding this portion of what you are saying. Can you elaborate?

When I referred to "untipping" in my post I was referring to the barrel. I'm guessing you are talking about something different.

NOTE: I have a meeting to go to, but I will check in later. Good dialogue...

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I may be misunderstanding this portion of what you are saying. Can you elaborate?

When I referred to "untipping" in my post I was referring to the barrel. I'm guessing you are talking about something different.

NOTE: I have a meeting to go to, but I will check in later. Good dialogue...

FP, the un-tipping begins during pitch recognition and will just continue it's un-tip within the sagittal plane for off-speed.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
What I see is dead solid rear leg trying to IR which springs the rear hip around on move-out (i.e. weightless front leg). the front butt cheek has to do the inverse, so you can see exactly what is happening. He is clearly very weighted on his rear leg, and the suspended assembly is working around what some like to call the scip axis.

Looks like this correct?

coachbob, that is one way to look at it or do it. The core movement pattern will allow for more dynamic balance throughout the body vs leveraging one side to do most of the work.

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Before I attempt to answer this, can you explain what you mean by "wider base"? Are you suggesting that his stride is longer?

Rereading your post, I think you were asking about the difference between 747 and 750, and not just a general question about the lowering of COM vs. sitting. I was pointing out that there is not "real" sitting (hip AND knee flexion) that is going on during the move-out. Clearly, there is some lowering form the stride in both. While continuing the pullback or "extra stretch" in 750, the rear leg continues to IR and drive downward while the weight stays "back". I don't think there is a "sitting" that takes place as it might appear, but a longer suspension of the rearward weighted assembly. Rear knee flexion continues for a lower COM. That's what I see, feel, and understand so far.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
coachbob, that is one way to look at it or do it. The core movement pattern will allow for more dynamic balance throughout the body vs leveraging one side to do most of the work IMO.

I'm not sure we are necessarily at odds on your point, however, I do think our centers of balance are different.

4-Weight-placement.jpg

May 3, 2014
I'm not sure we are necessarily at odds on your point, however, I do think our centers of balance are different.

4-Weight-placement.jpg

Wow - look at the hip level in the pic on the left....hmmm....front hip lower than back hip is a cue I think someone has brought up before...cannot make that happen without resistance and both legs pitching in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl