10U speed vs accuracy vs experiece

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
How do I help them with mechanics without changing what they already have learned?

Also, where is a good source of 10u mechanics that is somewhat universal?
If they're nowhere near the strike zone, maybe they do need to change what they've learned? (Or relearn, correctly, what they were already taught).

Otherwise - see Northball's post.

I/R in the Classroom, Java's beginner's drills, and the slo-motion video of Amanda Scarborough on auto-repeat for ~ 100x. If after all that you still don't believe you could teach the basics, you should at least be able to know whether the mechanics your pitchers are using are effective, correct, AND repeatable.

Sep 12, 2023
You don't. What I think you can do, is make sure they get plenty of pitching reps in. Even pitchers with bad mechanics can learn to throw strikes with plenty of practice. Maybe pitchers and catchers come one hour before practice.
I agree, more reps and expanded practice.

But, how do you balance pitching opportunities in games for the experienced person that got lessons who walks everyone vs a new pitcher who hasn't gotten lessons that walks everyone?

Sep 12, 2023
If they're nowhere near the strike zone, maybe they do need to change what they've learned? (Or relearn, correctly, what they were already taught).

Otherwise - see Northball's post.

I/R in the Classroom, Java's beginner's drills, and the slo-motion video of Amanda Scarborough on auto-repeat for ~ 100x. If after all that you still don't believe you could teach the basics, you should at least be able to know whether the mechanics your pitchers are using are effective, correct, AND repeatable.
Got 14 pages into the I/R Classroom sticky. This all makes perfect sense. I did one practice teaching HE this week. I will go over I/R and then just let them choose whether to bowl or whip. I have never pitched but spent couple hours doing drills with the two different methods. For me, I/R was not as intuitive as HE. However, I could feel the difference even with no little to no experience, kind of refreshing when you get I/R right!

Oct 25, 2009
A good pitching instructor teaching proper mechanics. Along with hundreds of pitches per day two or three days per week. Minimum 200-300 pitches per week. Outside of game pitches.
Other than learning proper mechanics accuracy can’t be taught. It must be learned by doing—without sacrificing velocity for accuracy!
It’s a long road; try to enjoy the journey. Much too soon it’s all about the memories!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Two parents stepped in as first time coaches in 10U fall ball. After our first 4 games, I wanted to focus on pitching more.

We had two experienced pitchers who need improvement in control. I tried to crack down on accuracy and asked players to demonstrate some commitment to accuracy and they pretty much quit.

So, now i have all brand new players pitching for the first time.

Questions are...

Should the new players be asked to pitch for accurately or pitch for speed?

If the quitters return, what can I do to improve there accuracy if they have already gotten lessons? Do I just let them pitch until some day where it becomes a strike?

Should I just give up on accuracy all together?
At 10U (and some might suggest always) you will get better results by pulling the players forward rather than pushing them forward. When you pull they follow, when you push not so much.
Pitchers must practice pitching a minimum of 3 times a week. If they are not committed to throwing 3 times they will not improve.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
My experience with 10U is that bowling is the best way to throw strikes, unfortunately there's not much of a future in travel ball as a bowler, in rec you're a starter. Good mechanics do not help you throw strikes (until you've mastered them), just look at any Dad bowling strikes in BP, if you asked him to use IR it would be a disaster.

Oct 17, 2022
I made the plunge and am working through the Rick Pauly certifications, and after having a very frustrated 9 year old trying to do things on our own, she said after pitching practice with me, “Wow, pitching is fun!” So I am biased as I am sold on his take to IR and learning it. While some of the information for IR is new, it is to me the mechanical way to pitch, and the overall problem isn’t the pitching. It is the expectations.

Too often coaches and parents at 10U focusing on winning over teaching/learning proper mechanics in all positions, especially pitching. It takes a lot of time and repetition and starting from a place of good mechanical knowledge. The winning only mentality forces the strikes/accuracy through whatever means possible, including bowling the ball.

I take offense and disagree, I use IR from the 9:00 position in BP and do quite well at striking out 9 and 10 year olds, even sending it right down the middle at 30-40 mph. :)

Good mechanics from the start will lead to better pitchers. Bad mechanics from the start lead to harder changes and bad habits that are hard to break in the future.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Agree with mechanics first. As a parent of a college pitcher, her whole focus has always been speed. Accuracy comes with good mechanics. DD has never practiced accuracy (and it's never been an issue), even at 10U. But she certainly has practiced getting faster!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi