Velocity vs accuracy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2021
My DD that is a 2012 and been in lessons about a year is consistent in the mid 40's. High 40's on good day. She is accurate and knows how to pitch with placement even if a coach isn't calling the pitches. My question is which is better. Placement at 45-47 or slinging it 50? She uses a fastball and change up which is good and mixes in a curveball here and there. Curveball isn't that consistent so it only comes out when she is ahead. My question is at 10 years old which is more important? Velocity or accuracy? She could throw faster I'm sure but with less accuracy. She has really been doing good lately. My question is should I keep pushing accuracy over Velocity? The different pitches are working their way in. If she is on most kids can't touch her. But she is still somewhat inconsistent due to how long she has been pitching. She is usually on more than off though.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021
Speed>accuracy

Who cares if she is accurate at 10? What is the goal? To be the best 10yo pitcher in history? Or to be a better (faster)16 yo pitcher?
Why not? Some 10 year olds want to work hard and be the best they can be. Just a general question I posted not a big long thought out thing. If a kid is 10 and can't throw a strike that's a problem so it does matter if she is accurate. I swear you can't ask a general question on this forum without some people going way overboard on reactions.

Jun 22, 2019
Form is the most important thing at 10. Speed and accuracy will come with good form. If you can avoid bad habits getting engrained while she’s young, you will be light years ahead of the curve.

At 10, throwing strikes is the most important, but you should be working on good form, consistency then speed…IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802