10U DD Warm Up Throw Down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
The worst thing you can do in any skills area 12U and below is worry about (individual or game) results vs. building solid skills and mechanics. The results aren't worth crowing over and the bad mechanics are too hard to fix later -- meanwhile good mechanics learned early can lead to big jumps in abilities that will lead to great results (individual and team) later, when they really matter.

My two cents.

We can just agree to disagree, like I stated in most cases I would always prefer technique over results but if you body is not physically capable of throwing the ball from behind the plate to second base with the proper technique then you why would you ever throw down on a base stealer if you have zero chance of making an out... Then the girls walks to first then basically walks to second and then on over to third because you won't let her take an extra little step or crow hop when throwing the ball to throw the runner out I'm not sure exactly what that is teaching beside if you can't do it exactly right then don't do it...if that is the case we would not have anyone pitching or batting either.

TO ANSWER THE OP:

Sorry I kinda derailed the thread a little so I went back to the OP and figured offering a little practical advice might help.

What she is not doing correctly:

First... while some see a preference I would start with the hand behind the glove we will see why in a second
Second... she gets a perfect pitch to throw out the runner and when she comes up ball is right by ear which is great but she brings the glove down to transfer the ball then back up to throw this is wasted motion, maybe it is because she needs this little windup to generate enough power but she should try to do it correctly first, but maybe she is bringing it down because that is where her hand is. Watch the video and imagine her hand behind at the 6 second mark right when she catches the ball.
Third...she is transferring the ball slightly out in front ideally it would be more of a single motion as she pivot and twists her upper body with the ball being at her ear
Fourth ...watch when she does the pivot first at about 6 seconds mark, it is about right although you would want her front foot to be out in front so her back shoulder to front shoulder make a line to second, but she is not quit square because she is setting up for
Fifth...she then takes and pushes off her back foot replants and then lines up and follows through with a throw, again this is obviously to generate power but have her try doing it correctly to see if maybe she can do it. She should plant the back foot be inline with the front foot and throw without the extra step

Now you asked for the advice now you have some BUT overall she is doing AWESOME I am nitpicking but once she gets to a higher level she will have to use the correct technique or she will never throw anyone out. She is in a good athletic position for typical runner on base scenario, she does line up one that second step and does make a good throw while there is a little more arc than I would like if she can put it on the bag like that I'm OK with it.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Again maybe you guys are all working with superstuds at age 9 that can gun down girls from the behind the plate with a flick off the wrist that some SS scoops the ball on one hop and swipe tags the runner as they are going to second but my guess is this is not the case for the other 99 percent of us.

Now if we are strictly talking about ball trajectory, I always teach throwing the ball as far as you can on a line, if you have to put a big arc on it I would rather see the one hop. I don't see a ball getting there faster on one or two hops versus one or two steps any faster. Again once you are at 12U and up you are probably right but after that first hop from a 9 year old you are lucky if the ball does not start rolling there. I also understand there is a different between an 11 yr old fall baller off a travel team still playing 10U and a new 9 yr old rec player who is on her second year of playing ball. My point being this should be dependent on the ability of the girl and at this age I have seen teams who don't have girls that could physically get girls out with the proper technique behind the plate, the extra step and wind up is all they need.

As stated I will grant it is a bad habit you will have to break but once the girls see she can get the ball there with just a pivot and follow through it should not take too long.

DC - 2 considerations - 1) I can accept the arguement that we maybe should make a distinction between girls who are working and want to be catchers as opposed to girls who catch (i.e., those that play the postion but don't won't to invest the time or effort to do it well); and, 2) If a girl is taught proper overhand throwing mechanics, her velocity out of the catcher's crouch will be 85+% of her max velocity so if they can reach 2B with a running start but can only dribble the ball to 2B without that start, they need to be taught to throw properly.

To be blunt, it is no more effort for a girl to learn something new the right way than it is the wrong way, its just a lot more effort for a coach to learn what the right way is and teach it effectively. And yes, I've looked in that mirror and didn't like what I saw.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I agree to dis agree with you. You know we are headed for PC land... :{)) Thats why she is the #2 catcher, and won't wear a mit... after offending me by saying she was unpolished, then they thought they were going to get her to hop the ball... not saying your wrong, on your facts. My problem with it, is that she is a pitcher/catcher ss, with an agreement to as needed... & determined by game & team needs, get time in each position & DD is to be showcased at all 3 positions. Making the hop is not (my) idea of what we want show cased. The pivotal point in your argument, was the contingency on the 2nd or ss being able to catch the hop as opposed to a throw. She had only caught 2 innings in 11 friendlies & 3 pool games. They were a little short on the agreement. The plan how ever is for her to catch when we have game in hand. Meaning there could be several different girls at either position. The two innings she caught in the friendlies, was when we lost our 1st game. Coach decided that he was going to get the next walked runner on a pick off. It went 15 min. and DD threw back every ball to the base, over 20 throws till they got her on third... now thats the show casing I'm talking about. Regardless of what coach says, if he wants to play gun them down, He knows he better put his best Back up players in the field, cause DD knows who can catch and won't just let mistakes happen. Remember, they will run on you alot more than twice in friendlies.

PC - IMO, outside of PC land, a girl ultimately can either be a really good P OR a really good C. There's not enough time to devote to do both well (and still work on hitting). Your DD apparently has the ability to play the position, which is a real benefit to the team when injuries/absences/multi-game days etc arise, but she won't ever come close to her potential at that position and be a real "catcher" unless she spends near the amount of time working at it as she does her pitching. My advice would be to pick one to focus on (AND work on hitting).

Green...if you honestly think every 9 yr old with proper technique can be taught to throw a ball on a line to second base I will simply say I wholeheartedly agree with you and will happily help teach them the correct way to throw the ball down.

BUT...if after all my efforts and obvious failure as a coach I still can't find a girl that can get it down there correctly I'm letting CobraAssist and PCs DDs get behind the plate and throw runners out to their little hearts content.

I do agree about being dedicated as a catcher it is a lot of work and come 12U you are either a full time catcher or pitcher both is not practical...if an emergency need for a third string catcher comes up OK but otherwise no.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
dedicated as a catcher it is a lot of work

You know how many rec players I see working on catching? zero. With all of the girls that come to my lessons, I tell them that if they bring a girl catcher, I do not charge for her. Plus, she will learn something.

But, until the teams start developing catchers, my pitchers are not going to be as good as they could be.

Jan 25, 2011
You know how many rec players I see working on catching? zero. With all of the girls that come to my lessons, I tell them that if they bring a girl catcher, I do not charge for her. Plus, she will learn something.

But, until the teams start developing catchers, my pitchers are not going to be as good as they could be.
Very true Amy, heck in my area we can't even get girls to want to pitch barely. I live within 45 min. from Bill Hillhouse and tell parents all the time about him, heck offered to take the girls with Emily and I to take lessons. It seems to fall on deaf ears. It would be nice to save a little money when their are two girls.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon

This is so true. The last couple of years I have had pitchers and catchers arrive 1 hr before team practice. The pitchers get to work on stuff, and we work with the catchers at that time too. All to often catchers get left to their own and get talked to when runners steal on them... go figure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG