10U DD Warm Up Throw Down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Let me echo Amy's comment the catcher in the OP and PC post both 10U and take several step and a windup for a reason, I simply do not know many 9yr olds with the arm strength to get the ball to any base using what we would call proper technique. OP catcher will throw most girls out with a throw like that and as Amy said about twice is all you need for them to stop running.

Usually I would advocate going with proper technique for any skill over getting the job done because eventually your poor technique will become a habit you can't break, this however is the exception. There is no reason to sacrifice an out and as PCs post shows you can get outs for technique. Once the girls gain the arm strength you could break the habit very quickly because the girls now don't need the poor technique of extra steps to get the ball down because they can compensate with a more powerful throw.

Yep... the story is that DD is the #2 or #3 catcher on team. She was filling in because of injury to catcher. End up going 5 innings that game, and her first full game, the Championship that Day. She's just the one for 3-4 game loser bracket day in the heat of the summer...She was told after tryouts she wasn't as polished as the catcher... :{))

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Let me echo Amy's comment the catcher in the OP and PC post both 10U and take several step and a windup for a reason, I simply do not know many 9yr olds with the arm strength to get the ball to any base using what we would call proper technique. OP catcher will throw most girls out with a throw like that and as Amy said about twice is all you need for them to stop running.

Usually I would advocate going with proper technique for any skill over getting the job done because eventually your poor technique will become a habit you can't break, this however is the exception. There is no reason to sacrifice an out and as PCs post shows you can get outs for technique. Once the girls gain the arm strength you could break the habit very quickly because the girls now don't need the poor technique of extra steps to get the ball down because they can compensate with a more powerful throw.

Disagree on both accounts. The ball will get their faster on 1 or even 2 bounces so you're actually gaining outs (if you have a SS who can field an easy groundball) and you'll never have to correct a bad habit.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Disagree on both accounts. The ball will get their faster on 1 or even 2 bounces so you're actually gaining outs (if you have a SS who can field an easy groundball) and you'll never have to correct a bad habit.

I agree to dis agree with you. You know we are headed for PC land... :{)) Thats why she is the #2 catcher, and won't wear a mit... after offending me by saying she was unpolished, then they thought they were going to get her to hop the ball... not saying your wrong, on your facts. My problem with it, is that she is a pitcher/catcher ss, with an agreement to as needed... & determined by game & team needs, get time in each position & DD is to be showcased at all 3 positions. Making the hop is not (my) idea of what we want show cased. The pivotal point in your argument, was the contingency on the 2nd or ss being able to catch the hop as opposed to a throw. She had only caught 2 innings in 11 friendlies & 3 pool games. They were a little short on the agreement. The plan how ever is for her to catch when we have game in hand. Meaning there could be several different girls at either position. The two innings she caught in the friendlies, was when we lost our 1st game. Coach decided that he was going to get the next walked runner on a pick off. It went 15 min. and DD threw back every ball to the base, over 20 throws till they got her on third... now thats the show casing I'm talking about. Regardless of what coach says, if he wants to play gun them down, He knows he better put his best Back up players in the field, cause DD knows who can catch and won't just let mistakes happen. Remember, they will run on you alot more than twice in friendlies.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I agree to dis agree with you. You know we are headed for PC land... :{)) Thats why she is the #2 catcher, and won't wear a mit... after offending me by saying she was unpolished, then they thought they were going to get her to hop the ball... not saying your wrong, on your facts. My problem with it, is that she is a pitcher/catcher ss, with an agreement to as needed... & determined by game & team needs, get time in each position & DD is to be showcased at all 3 positions. Making the hop is not (my) idea of what we want show cased. The pivotal point in your argument, was the contingency on the 2nd or ss being able to catch the hop as apposed to a throw. She had only caught 2 innings in 11 friendlies & 3 pool games. They were a little short on the agreement. The plan how ever is for her to catch when we have game in hand. Meaning there could be several girls at either position. The two innings she caught in the friendlies, was when we lost our 1st game. Coach decided that he was going to get the next walked runner on a pick off. It went 15 min. and DD threw back every ball to the base, over 20 throws till they got her on third... now thats the show casing I'm talking about. Regardless of what coach says, if he wants to play gun them down, He knows he better put his best Back up players in the field, cause DD knows who can catch and won't just let mistakes happen. Remember, they will run on you alot more than twice in friendlies.

No Comment

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
No Comment

Thankz not really need a D in this ABC conversation... Sorry to bold, as you. You might be dressed wrong anyways... If you don't want to comment then start a thread.... would you support dislike button? Go comment on that one...been waiting to hear your answer... :{))

Last edited:
Again maybe you guys are all working with superstuds at age 9 that can gun down girls from the behind the plate with a flick off the wrist that some SS scoops the ball on one hop and swipe tags the runner as they are going to second but my guess is this is not the case for the other 99 percent of us.

Now if we are strictly talking about ball trajectory, I always teach throwing the ball as far as you can on a line, if you have to put a big arc on it I would rather see the one hop. I don't see a ball getting there faster on one or two hops versus one or two steps any faster. Again once you are at 12U and up you are probably right but after that first hop from a 9 year old you are lucky if the ball does not start rolling there. I also understand there is a different between an 11 yr old fall baller off a travel team still playing 10U and a new 9 yr old rec player who is on her second year of playing ball. My point being this should be dependent on the ability of the girl and at this age I have seen teams who don't have girls that could physically get girls out with the proper technique behind the plate, the extra step and wind up is all they need.

As stated I will grant it is a bad habit you will have to break but once the girls see she can get the ball there with just a pivot and follow through it should not take too long.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
As stated above. Get the NECC DVD and watch it multiple times. Have your catchers watch it one section at a time. Work on one or two things until they are being done correctly before moving on to the next. The information is great.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
When my DGD started catching, her biggest problem was standing straight up and slinging the ball instead of throwing it. Her throwing hand usually wound up about chest high. To combat this, she was taught that her hand should hit her left knee (she throws r handed). It was really funny watching her trying to learn this as she was continually hitting herself high on the thigh. Then one day it dawned on her, don't stand up straight (her PC would not tell her)! It took awhile for her to master this but finally it worked for her. This stopped her slinging the ball also, as she is now bringing her arm completely through her body on an angle. It also forced her to put more body into the throw. Did she start throwing the ball on a line to second? No, that did not occur until many, many hours of weighted ball tossing, long toss, and of course her body growth.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan