10U DD Warm Up Throw Down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC - IMO, outside of PC land, a girl ultimately can either be a really good P OR a really good C. There's not enough time to devote to do both well (and still work on hitting). Your DD apparently has the ability to play the position, which is a real benefit to the team when injuries/absences/multi-game days etc arise, but she won't ever come close to her potential at that position and be a real "catcher" unless she spends near the amount of time working at it as she does her pitching. My advice would be to pick one to focus on (AND work on hitting).http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...rt-like-dislike-button-here-5.html#post133313

Man I'm getting top notch help here off the ricochet. Thanks to everyone!!!
Greenmonster... this is what I'm talking about... The OP hasn't been back to let ALL contributors know they appreciate the efforts. I do realize that not everyone sets on here 24/7, and hope they return, with thanks... if not I guess this will be my part in trying to help OP...THANKS everyone... even Sparky.

The Bolded things in my comments, from one who chose not to comment, so I'll take it that he didn't like it. I think he simply thinks I'm just being arrogant. Wrong... This is what we were told, and if Coaches need some way of telling someone like me, that even though we said that we were only going to have 3 pitchers, but knowing we can count, and you seen the other 3rd pitcher getting to pitch, in all the friendlies, and your DD only got 1 inning.... here is what we are going to do. Worked great on me. Almost sounded like I would have wrote it myself. (continued)

Now what I can add to this post in context of catching is, not only is DD a #2-3 catcher, who really is not willing to work at it, because she is busy with what she has worked on since she was 8. Not because she is lazy, but because she has the potential for being way taller that most catchers. Same reason as we aren't in gymnastics. The instructor kindly told me, that even though she has went as far as she could go "flipping up" (playing up) as the insurance would allow, in the long run the she was going to be to tall to really go very far...I was upset. Lotz of nice lighting, for all my video of that. But now, it is obvious that see was right.

I would consider it...only if we lived in Greenmonsters neighborhood, and MW came to visit once a week, to hangout and chat with him, & Help him show his girls how to fix their hair between innings, and a quick fix for the team shot after hard games, and Championship pictures. And he would also have to take on the hitting coach duties...

DC I can tell you are awesome TOO. And I like your perception of the here and now... I want to tell you what I told MW, in a tweet... by the way,she never got back with me... "If you would really let me direct the next video you do, we can have most DD's learning the main catching moves in 35 min. They would practice all the time too." Here is the clip... just think if she was under my direction, and Every move was a real, kinetic infusion & worthy of miles of meylin. I think I'll get the DVD, and see what me and DD would can do. You would have to agree if that camera man would have stayed on MW for everyone of those moves, DD would be trying out for the NPF by now... lol She does amaze me how she can learn dance moves lighting fast...

Catcher's Shuffle (A Catchers Dance to the Cupid Shuffle) - YouTube

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
This is so true. The last couple of years I have had pitchers and catchers arrive 1 hr before team practice. The pitchers get to work on stuff, and we work with the catchers at that time too. All to often catchers get left to their own and get talked to when runners steal on them... go figure!

Great idea CoachKevin, I wish my DGD had this chance. She did have one coach in the past who worked the catchers, but it was only on conditioning. Her personal coach has been a great instructor and she sees him at least once a week. When he is working with a pitcher, a lot of times he will call her to catch them, even if it is a D1 pitcher. She jumps at the chance to get some extra practice. One of her friends is a pitcher and she will catch her whenever she wants to practice. But to practice before team practice or during practice, I have never seen it happen.

I think a lot of coaches don't know enough about pitching or catching so they just expect the parents to deal a lot of money out to have them trained.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I went ahead and downloaded CobraAssist and Perfect Circle's videos and added one of my 15U catchers. Stop watches have been inserted with ball handling times and pop times (where available) recorded. Both girls do well for their age. I agree with RichK in getting Dave and Jay's video on catching. It breaks down the foot work and handwork step by step with each step thoroughly explained.

The main goal in getting the ball air-born as quickly as possible is to keep it simple. Take as few steps as possible and handle the ball as little as possible. Timing and comparing rainbow throws caught in the air and low one-hop throws reveals that one hops get there sooner. The key is to have that "one-hop" 6 or so feet off second base. You don't want to have your SS digging balls out of the dirt and trying to swing a tag all at the same time. Now is a great time to learn proper throwing mechanics. I work with so many young girls that have developed bad habits that are so hard to unlearn... Anyway, here's the clips.

[video=youtube_share;pjkB7Yq4wG4]http://youtu.be/pjkB7Yq4wG4[/video]

My best recommendation is to give Jay a call and send him some video or arrange a Skype session or two. It will make a big difference for your catcher.

One side note. When wearing knees savers, it's generally recommended to mount them as low as possible. Knee savers mounted high act as wedges to actually separate the knee joint. (See Knee Savers)

Chaz @ ACC

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Also here is NECC's sample of crouch to launch. Remember too that proper stances for game circumstances are the foundation for your catchers to improve their throws.

[video=youtube_share;F8tK2PPQWGA]http://youtu.be/F8tK2PPQWGA[/video]

(Had to post separately fer DFP rules)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
One side note. When wearing knees savers, it's generally recommended to mount them as low as possible. Knee savers mounted high act as wedges to actually separate the knee joint. (See Knee Savers)

Chaz @ ACC

Thank You for your interest in My DD.... She is going to love seeing this!!! Of course you know who put the Knee Savers on like that... me... Will Change !!! Thankz Too for looking out for her safety !!!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I hate knee savers. Never thought they did anything but encourage kids to sit on them when they should be up in a crouch.

I know this is probably considered sacrilege around here but. Catching isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Sure its not for everyone, but if a kid has the athletic ability, the desire and the right mindset its something they pick up fairly quick. 2 years ago one of the major Div 1 schools had a couple of injuries and played most of the year with a catcher who hadn't caught a game since 12u, and she did a great job. I have seen kids with no catching experience become very good catchers in less then a season.

My dd has done both catch and pitch. The last part of the HS season she would alternate pitching and catching every other game, in travel she mostly pitched on the 14u team and when she guest played on the organizations 18u team she mostly caught. It can be done, is she as good at catching as she would be if she caught all the time and worked at it year round, nope. But she was better then lots of girls who do.

It can be done.

May 1, 2011
I haven't been at work, so I have been unable to respond or reply for a couple of days. Turns out my "SMART PHONE" isn't so smart after all. I do appreciate all of the feedback, and I also have a couple of different opinions about some things.

PC - Thanks for the THANKS to everyone before I could get back. I really try and get back to people as quickly as I can, but the last couple of days have been craziness.

Amy - You're always right on the money. We had the first game in a Round Robin the other day at 1000 in the morning. Only 8u games going on at other fields, so we had a little bit of audience. DD threw a girl out by 10 feet in the first inning. 5 more games, and only 2 other base stealing attempts. She was 2/3 on the day.

David - Wife was a catcher in college, and WILL NOT allow me to teach DD to receive with hand behind the mitt. Lost cause, so I quit fighting it. Location of exchange is not something that I had looked at, but is a GREAT POINT. I know this sounds like bragging (and hey, maybe some of it is), but her game footage will be completely different I feel. That big wind up she did isn't typical of her throw-downs in game at all, and neither is her lack of leg drive. Staying low IS something that we have struggled with and is about to become a focal point.

I'm not a fan of knee saves either. Wife has refused to get them for DD (kinda like "I didn't have them, so why should she").

China - if DD is a tremendous athlete, I would agree that catching isn't that difficult. I didn't start catching until I was a freshmen in high school and it was due to necessity (starting guy broke his arm, and I volunteered). I wasn't GREAT at it, but I was serviceable. But, the thought that you can just take any girl and throw her back there, at a younger age, that isn't mentally tough, or able to deal with the fact that she's going to get her little body bruised up, is a different story.

RichK - The post was to get help with mechanics in different areas, and to just get another set of eyes on the video. I think strong mechanics at a young age is where stars are made, along with some God given talent. However, I think that individual achievement in games at this age is VERY important. Proper mechanics need to be taught, but it's going to be hard to teach proper mechanics to a girl that doesn't care because she hasn't thrown anyone out all year. They HAVE TO taste success at some point in order for them to care enough.

Again folks I really appreciate all of the feedback. DD loves it, and is always excited when we have some new things to work on. Tourney next weekend, but I'm working. Will see if I can get my lovely wife to get some footage. She's the only person we've got that keeps a good scorebook though, so I may have to rely on someone else. Can't wait.

Feb 3, 2011
I hate knee savers. Never thought they did anything but encourage kids to sit on them when they should be up in a crouch.

I know this is probably considered sacrilege around here but. Catching isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Sure its not for everyone, but if a kid has the athletic ability, the desire and the right mindset its something they pick up fairly quick. 2 years ago one of the major Div 1 schools had a couple of injuries and played most of the year with a catcher who hadn't caught a game since 12u, and she did a great job. I have seen kids with no catching experience become very good catchers in less then a season.

My dd has done both catch and pitch. The last part of the HS season she would alternate pitching and catching every other game, in travel she mostly pitched on the 14u team and when she guest played on the organizations 18u team she mostly caught. It can be done, is she as good at catching as she would be if she caught all the time and worked at it year round, nope. But she was better then lots of girls who do.

It can be done.

At the risk of having old fruit thrown my way as well, I pretty much agree with you when it comes to the mechanics of catching.

However, for the benefit of other, less experienced softball parents (and coaches) here, I will add that I think there's a major difference when it comes to a catcher calling the game. A shortstop having to fill in at catcher might know that a batter has had success in pulling the ball on a pitcher, but the experienced catcher is the one who's going to have the mental notes of which pitches typically work best against specific batters.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC - Thanks for the THANKS to everyone before I could get back. I really try and get back to people as quickly as I can, but the last couple of days have been craziness.

Your Welcome... Thank you for starting this thread ! I have a whole new perspective on DD's Catching now. You got several of the Heavy Hitter's in to help US. Lets cross our fingers, and really continue to contemplate on what we are hearing, and show some application, and we might get Ken K. to weigh in too! I liked your video, and wanted to keep the fire going till you could get back.

Liking the video from me means, the Quality. Not only was you able to get the shot, but you got it rendered nicely, compressed properly and posted. This is what caught my eye, plus knowing that your chances of getting help just went up 1000%. I seen you "can talk softball all day" and figured you would be back to follow up! Although you never left because your video, kept talking for you...and proves my point, "a picture says a thousand words, but a video says a million" The quality also made it possible for chazbz1 to work his magic as well.

I wish I could say that I could help you with video, but my Videography started when my DD started Fastpitch... I said you make the play, and I'll get the shot. She kicks my butt every game. My best chance of getting the Big Shot is when she Pitches or catches. If I would yell... "Runner on first, lets get them out" she would call time out, walk over to me and whisper: do you got all the batteries charged...do you got the SD card in the camera...make sure you got it turned on....don't let those little kids get in your way...and make sure you got the cap off the lens, or lots of other photo coaching remarks...not really, but you see what I'm saying. She has given me the dumb look when I try to take a pic with cap on....too many times. Here is my tip to you CobraAssit: Helping DD learn to edit video, is more important than playing softball.

Now here is my problem with all the comments on my video... you all missed the most important thing that I was trying to show. Maybe you just had your audio off. It is that her celebration, was perfectly synced with the music....Really.... and like all other good things that have happened for me in my photography, that was just luck... I just picked the song on Y-tube, and it auto added. I did that because in the audio people were yelling her name congratulating her, I don't care about that, but also the 3rd basemen too. I don't have a photo release, for her. Not that I really need one, but I am trying to "act" like a pro.... the other point is that everyone in shot has on a facemask, so no need to blur. Another problem is I didn't get everyone in the shot, you'll have more trouble with that than a HC has with who he plays. Good thing is the ones setting on bench are not in shot.... never get one of them shots...Also speaking of trying to be a pro....and to me cautioning you about video, to be sensitive... Did you see how chazbz1 just happened to leave the pop time off of my video....now that's a real PRO!!! and speaking of bragging, if you don't I will... I am honored to have DD be in a clip w/ your DD. I can honestly say, that this is a keeper, because I know That this is the first one that DD is in one with someone who's going to go all the way...Sorry for holding your DD to only a "both did real good for their age" ...without me in it, I'm sure he would have said this is one of the best I've ever seen at this age!!!

Our two videos has directed the conversation rightly to, Working on Mechinics and Doing them in a Game. I think this might be where get get Ken's Attention, and maybe if we are lucky some day he will blog something about it !!!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Green...if you honestly think every 9 yr old with proper technique can be taught to throw a ball on a line to second base I will simply say I wholeheartedly agree with you and will happily help teach them the correct way to throw the ball down.

BUT...if after all my efforts and obvious failure as a coach I still can't find a girl that can get it down there correctly I'm letting CobraAssist and PCs DDs get behind the plate and throw runners out to their little hearts content.

I do agree about being dedicated as a catcher it is a lot of work and come 12U you are either a full time catcher or pitcher both is not practical...if an emergency need for a third string catcher comes up OK but otherwise no.

DC - I agree that its not realistic to expect a 9-year old to get it there in the air on a line, even with perfect mechanics. But if they are using or trying to use the correct mechanics they should be able to get the ball there on 1 hop and that provides 2 important benefits as Chaz noted - 1) the ball gets to the base quicker and 2) the girls don't have to struggle to re-learn proper mechanics.

Jay Weaver of NECC recently wrote about teaching young kids the proper mechanics and gave me permission to re-post his thoughts in the DFP thread link below. IMO, it applies not just to catching, but all aspects of youth SB and BB.
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...ver-too-young-learn-proper-mechanics.htmlasdf

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan