10U DD Warm Up Throw Down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
She's a 9 year old. After I took the video, I didn't bother looking at it until I uploaded it onto the computer and looked at it in a much bigger frame. Her and I talked about "practice like you play, and you'll play like you practice" after she looked at it with me because she doesn't ever take that kind of a running start. She's usually much quicker getting rid of it. Need to get some game footage, but I'm too busy calling pitches when I'm there. Any thoughts would be great. Stance, throwing motion....anything really. Kid loves the feedback.

Pre-Game Throw Down - YouTube

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Nov 29, 2009
Look at this catchers and compare his throw down to hers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPn6PC3befs&feature=related[/video]

May 1, 2011
Not much of a comparison. That's what I'm getting at. Here's a video of Pudge Rodriguez....do it like that. Yes, I understand the concept. She danced a jig in the box before she threw it. Her hand didn't come to the mitt until she took her second step. She stood straight up at release and really didn't drive through her throw. Her elbow dropped a good ways before she let it go too. These are all things that I noticed, and her and I discussed. Just looking for a pointer here, maybe a little tip there. Maybe someone's daughter is a catcher and they see my DD doing something that their DD was doing wrong, and they know a great way to fix it. That's all.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Just looking for a pointer here, maybe a little tip there. Maybe someone's daughter is a catcher and they see my DD doing something that their DD was doing wrong, and they know a great way to fix it. That's all.

Not a pointer... My DD is learning too. But here is one you will can relate too. DD is 10u. We say "Perfect Practice makes Permanent" Hope you can give me a pointer or two...Tell me what you see... :{))

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
Make an upside down "T" on the ground. The horizontal part of the "T" is where her feet start. The up and down part of the "T" -- shooting out towards the pitcher from between her legs-- is where her feet should end up. From the starting position in a crouch, work on replacing the left foot with the right and striding forward with the left foot forward to get "sideways" (surfing the "T" line). Do it again and again and that will cut out the extra momentum step that is currently moving her forward toward/over home plate

The boy catcher in Sparky Guy's video shows how to do this pretty well.

Focus on using the legs and body to get the throw down to second without that momentum, that may take some time. Work exclusively on "pop-to-pop" time for a while, that will focus on eliminating excess steps and a quick exchange. Later you can measure arm speed.

Get the New England Catching Camp video to take everything to the next level, best DVD you can buy

The New England Catching Camp

May 31, 2012
NECC Video definitely helped my 10yo DD. NECC guy has some great info on this site. It starts with the correct stance, receiving the ball, footwork then the throw. Practice in progression. Show her the correct stance for runners on base. Then correct way to receive the ball. Then footwork without a ball. Crouch to throwing position no ball. Do it over and over again. Then add the ball let her start with ball in glove and go thru the progression. Practice practice practice. When she's ready add a front toss. Practice Different footwork to each base. Somethings I had to change were feet wide and flat on the ground in the stance . Glove ARM extended to receive. throwing hand clinched fist behind glove. One move from stance to throwing position eliminate the extra steps. Hope this helps.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Good advice re NECC 2 hr 45 minute "Coaches Guide to Training Catchers" DVD, which provides detailed instruction that can take a catcher to the elite level. Best $40 softball investment an aspiring catcher can make.

IMO, the main reason they get the running start is because they want to reach the base in the air and just don't have the arm strength yet to do it. If they learn and use the proper footwork (described by RichK above) instead of the running start, the ball will get to 2B almost 0.5 seconds sooner, it might be on 1-hop until the arm strength develops, but that's OK. IMO, the ball getting to the bag quicker makes the 1-hopper an easier play for 2B/SS than the ball in the air arriving instantaneously with the runner.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She is 9. She is great. She is perfect for a 10U. Please remember how many little girls can't throw 40 feet, let alone 82.

Now, be certain that she is not catching every game. Because, coaches are going to want your DD behind the plate.

All your DD has to do is throw out 2 girls and the team won't run on her, anyway. Good luck to her and keep her grounded and working on a 2nd position.

Let me echo Amy's comment the catcher in the OP and PC post both 10U and take several step and a windup for a reason, I simply do not know many 9yr olds with the arm strength to get the ball to any base using what we would call proper technique. OP catcher will throw most girls out with a throw like that and as Amy said about twice is all you need for them to stop running.

Usually I would advocate going with proper technique for any skill over getting the job done because eventually your poor technique will become a habit you can't break, this however is the exception. There is no reason to sacrifice an out and as PCs post shows you can get outs for technique. Once the girls gain the arm strength you could break the habit very quickly because the girls now don't need the poor technique of extra steps to get the ball down because they can compensate with a more powerful throw.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG