10 y/o swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
If people wish to leap off of their rear leg, then have at it.

It's not what I teach or plan to teach in the future.

Based on the theory that "girls need to feel good to play good and vice versa for boys", I try to break down what they are doing by feeling. Then if I exaggerate a feeling, they know to look for it. What other drills/options do you use when a hitter does not transfer all of their weight from their back side to front side?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Whatever works for you. For me, the feel of actively leaping off of the rear leg isn't a feel that works.

As an FYI, the "feel good to play good" is often over baked and often over played. You can take a crappy hitter, talk them up so that they feel good, put them in the batter's box against a tough pitcher backed with a strong defense, and the "feel good" feeling isn't going to last long if all that exists is "false confidence". Sooner or later you have to get the work in to build the fundamentals that will support one's confidence ... and if "leaping off the rear leg" does that for you, then have it. I know my kids would turn to me and say that their confidence dwindled pretty quickly after they realized they were using ineffective mechanics.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Based on the theory that "girls need to feel good to play good and vice versa for boys", I try to break down what they are doing by feeling. Then if I exaggerate a feeling, they know to look for it. What other drills/options do you use when a hitter does not transfer all of their weight from their back side to front side?

Based on the theory that "girls need to feel good to play good and vice versa for boys",
Not to nitpick but, that's more of a 'mental feeling' and not a physical feel saying. As far as physical 'feelings' during hitting I would teach the same 'feeling' to boys or girls.

Aug 26, 2015
Not to nitpick but, that's more of a 'mental feeling' and not a physical feel saying. As far as physical 'feelings' during hitting I would teach the same 'feeling' to boys or girls.

....and the education continues. That's a new one on me! I thought it was physical.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Mike Candrea:
I didn't because I was a baseball coach and got talked into it. I was (coaching) at a junior college (Central Arizona College) for many years before I came here and I remember the day when George Young (CAC athletic director) asked me to take over the women's program and I said I'd try it for a year but I really want(ed) to coach men. I tried it for a year and then kind of fell in love with it. ... I always tell people one thing that I've found is that men have to play good to feel good; women have to feel good to play good. So you tend to spend a lot of your time trying to make young women feel good about themselves, and the more they feel good about themselves the more productive they become and the more successful they become.

Coach Mike Candrea, he related the real difference between boys and girls: boys have to play good to feel good; girls have to feel good to play good. I think this is true for grown-ups as well.

Aug 1, 2014
Thank you all for the discussion. I will certainly try the drills with her. I am glad to have expertise to apply to her swing. Thank you for taking time to share.

On a side note, the video of the homerun is an intersting example. Maybe I am lookin at it wrong but it looks like Bianca's bat slowed a good bit at contact too. There is a frame where the bat seems to slow significantly. I have seen other videos where other girls have a significant slowing of the bat.

Clearly my DD has power issues that I am working on but the mass and speed of the ball seems to be impacting the follow through of a lot of great hitters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30