10 y/o swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2014
My DD is a pitcher. As with most pitchers we focus more on pitching and other areas haven't grown as fast. I caught a video of her hitting this weekend and I would like feedback. It is a pitch up in the zone and she did get a base hit. But as you can see, power is lacking. The bat nearly stops at impact. She has been playing year round for the past two years so she's not exactly untrained.
Thank you in advance.

[video]https://youtu.be/7GTJyYX93nQ[/video]

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_nuzdqb8BSD1usf292o1_400.gif

Aug 26, 2015
Looks like she didn't finish driving through her right leg THROUGH the contact so the weight distribution was off. DD does that from time to time and when she does, we work on the samurai sword off the tee a little more than normal so she can feel the exaggerated motion of bringing all of her weight from her right leg THROUGH the contact.

Aug 1, 2014
Thank you for the feedback. Do you know of any drills that will help her with that? She must be driving her legs through too early. Also, I was looking at a thread about walking away from your hands. I don't see any separation. Between her hands and helmet.
I know that she is being over powered by the ball. I'm looking for a way to get more power through the ball.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Looks like she didn't finish driving through her right leg THROUGH the contact so the weight distribution was off. DD does that from time to time and when she does, we work on the samurai sword off the tee a little more than normal so she can feel the exaggerated motion of bringing all of her weight from her right leg THROUGH the contact.

Do you have an example swing that you can point to that demonstrates the action of the rear leg driving through contact that you promote? Feel free to grab a swing from the model swings thread.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you for the feedback. Do you know of any drills that will help her with that? She must be driving her legs through too early. Also, I was looking at a thread about walking away from your hands. I don't see any separation. Between her hands and helmet.
I know that she is being over powered by the ball. I'm looking for a way to get more power through the ball.

It is good that you are looking at swing clips of successful hitters. With that you can reach the conclusion to ignore the advice of continuing to drive the rear leg forward during impact. As you mentioned, you can work on getting the basic sequence correct.

Aug 26, 2015
Do you have an example swing that you can point to that demonstrates the action of the rear leg driving through contact that you promote? Feel free to grab a swing from the model swings thread.

Not sure how you guys cut up the videos, but if you look at the swing at the first 1-2 seconds of this video (and someone can chop it and make it frame by frame), this is what I mean. You can see in OP's DD swing, when she makes contact with the ball, her right leg stops driving forward and as a byproduct, the arms stop the follow-through. When you look at Bianca's swing, you'll see that when she makes contact with the ball, her right leg is still driving forward and the follow-through continues with her arms.

Basically, if you look at the legs at contact and then immediately after the contact of both videos, you'll see OP's DD right leg basically just stops driving as soon as contact is made. Almost as if the leg feels like it's job is done and there's no need to drive anymore.

Aug 26, 2015

Sorry for the delayed response. Still getting used to figuring out how to keep tabs on the threads of interest to me. It's not that she is driving too early. It looks like she just stops at the moment of contact. Whenever my DD starts to "leaves gas in the right tank", we focus more on what I call the samurai sword drill on a tee. I'm pretty sure there is another name for it. In the drill, you basically take 2 - 3 steps to the right of the plate. Then, you hold the bat over your head with the bathead facing the pitching circle. You then do a toe touch with your left foot and take a giant leap off your right leg and as you hit the ball on the tee, allow your momentum to carry you past the tee. With a focus on the "feeling" of all of your weight going forward after the ball was hit. I'll look for the youtube clip because I'm doing a HORRIBLE job of explaining this. Another drill we do is I'll place a 3 gallon bucket face down and have DD place her right foot on the bucket to get the "feeling" of no weight on the back foot. I don't do these drills everyday with her. Just when she is visibly not completing the weight transfer through the follow through. Her arms stop at almost the same spot as your DD and her hit has less "pop" because she "left gas in the right tank". Looking for an example on youtube now...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Not sure how you guys cut up the videos, but if you look at the swing at the first 1-2 seconds of this video (and someone can chop it and make it frame by frame), this is what I mean. You can see in OP's DD swing, when she makes contact with the ball, her right leg stops driving forward and as a byproduct, the arms stop the follow-through. When you look at Bianca's swing, you'll see that when she makes contact with the ball, her right leg is still driving forward and the follow-through continues with her arms.

Basically, if you look at the legs at contact and then immediately after the contact of both videos, you'll see OP's DD right leg basically just stops driving as soon as contact is made. Almost as if the leg feels like it's job is done and there's no need to drive anymore.

Thank you for supplying a video that demonstrates your belief.

Bianka is not driving her rear leg through impact. She is "staying in her legs". She is maintaining the tension level in the rear leg, so that her rear leg could be used in a reactionary manner during the last phase of the rear leg usage.

qy8yag.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619