10 y/o swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sorry for the delayed response. Still getting used to figuring out how to keep tabs on the threads of interest to me. It's not that she is driving too early. It looks like she just stops at the moment of contact. Whenever my DD starts to "leaves gas in the right tank", we focus more on what I call the samurai sword drill on a tee. I'm pretty sure there is another name for it. In the drill, you basically take 2 - 3 steps to the right of the plate. Then, you hold the bat over your head with the bathead facing the pitching circle. You then do a toe touch with your left foot and take a giant leap off your right leg and as you hit the ball on the tee, allow your momentum to carry you past the tee. With a focus on the "feeling" of all of your weight going forward after the ball was hit. I'll look for the youtube clip because I'm doing a HORRIBLE job of explaining this. Another drill we do is I'll place a 3 gallon bucket face down and have DD place her right foot on the bucket to get the "feeling" of no weight on the back foot. I don't do these drills everyday with her. Just when she is visibly not completing the weight transfer through the follow through. Her arms stop at almost the same spot as your DD and her hit has less "pop" because she "left gas in the right tank". Looking for an example on youtube now...

Do you have any examples of good hitters taking a giant leap off their rear leg as they make contact with the ball?

Aug 26, 2015
Bianka is not driving her rear leg through impact. She is "staying in her legs". She is maintaining the tension level in the rear leg, so that her rear leg could be used in a reactionary manner during the last phase of the rear leg usage.

I see what you mean. Low SB vocabulary lol. Do you see what I was referring to in the right leg of Bianca vs. the right leg of OP's DD at the moment of impact? That's what I was trying to show. I guess I considered it as still driving because it goes forward.

Aug 26, 2015
Do you have any examples of good hitters taking a giant leap off their rear leg as they make contact with the ball?

No, it's a drill to exaggerate the "feeling" of no weight on the right side on impact. For some reason, DD struggled with the weight distribution concept. She just couldn't get why she needed to "stay in her legs" (see? an old dog can learn something new) and leg all of her weight go forward. It's not meant to be a full swing demo.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Another drill we do is I'll place a 3 gallon bucket face down and have DD place her right foot on the bucket to get the "feeling" of no weight on the back foot.
Can you explain the purpose of this drill. Thxs in advance.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I see what you mean. Low SB vocabulary lol. Do you see what I was referring to in the right leg of Bianca vs. the right leg of OP's DD at the moment of impact? That's what I was trying to show. I guess I considered it as still driving because it goes forward.

There is a lot of good in the rear leg usage of this young girl.

qybe5h.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

No, it's a drill to exaggerate the "feeling" of no weight on the right side on impact. For some reason, DD struggled with the weight distribution concept. She just couldn't get why she needed to "stay in her legs" (see? an old dog can learn something new) and leg all of her weight go forward. It's not meant to be a full swing demo.

Good hitters don't leap off their rear leg as they go through impact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1