1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
skip ahead to the 6:40 mark thru 7:40. He says it is an absolute but he is wrong. It may be preferable but plenty of great hitters have a hint of ABAF in their swing.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Much improved FB!

I agree w you. The upper body stretch needs some work. The BB double stretch drill needs a bit of context. I try to keep the front elbow down and out of plane to enhance the core stretch and segmenting of the swing. A simple cue of keeping the barrel vertical longer helps also.

the back leg anchor is a prerequisite for the body to load properly. There is a chipper Jones video floating around. That’s how I teach it.

Search the site for Donny Busters presentation. A lot of good info in there.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Swinging "down to" against the hips extending.

2igsGkc.gif

woYtkVi.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Much improved FB!

I agree w you. The upper body stretch needs some work. The BB double stretch drill needs a bit of context. I try to keep the front elbow down and out of plane to enhance the core stretch and segmenting of the swing. A simple cue of keeping the barrel vertical longer helps also.

the back leg anchor is a prerequisite for the body to load properly. There is a chipper Jones video floating around. That’s how I teach it.

Search the site for Donny Busters presentation. A lot of good info in there.
Thanks WW, i do have the DB presentation i will go back and review.

It seemed easier for her to get a more anchored back leg when she did a stride, we will have to keep at that, thanks for that tip. Even when trying to get her to throw better, she was spinning the back leg. It's somewhat of an engrained flaw in all her mechanics. I have seen the Chipper vid, will have to find it. thanks.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
A tale of 2 force producers.

I’m not picking on you FB. Just trying to shed some light on sequential loading and unloading or more loading? Maybe a thought of ‘closing’ should be loading and ‘opening’ can be thought of as unloading. As well as a few compensatory movements which can hinder a good sequence.

the first toss swing. The hands load out of sequence(early) so they unload (cast) early. Pulling the ball correctly becomes tough. A longer swing ensues; Usually ends up cheating to the inside. The entire load should take place during the forward move.

1608821135072.gif

The second swing the hands don’t load at all and come w the hips so the core isn’t being utilized. Outside pitches become hard to stay on.

1608821670762.gif

i would work on movement and creating better angles for these particular issues. It’s a case of less is more. Maybe try a Bregman cue with the ‘flashlights’. The effect of that thought creates tighter turns and quicker segmented swings. Try a ‘chest back’ towards the catcher thought. It takes the arms and shoulders out of it early and gets the core more involved. The cue I gave previously about trying to keep the front elbow ‘down’ is apart of the same theory. You could do the feet crossed tee drill. It starts a player closed and the cue is ‘try to stay closed’. Or ‘maintain your angles’ longer.

for me it’s about staying closed and out of plane until committal. That’s where the explosion comes from. And even after launch the feet are trying to stop the opening of the hips etc etc up the chain. It’s a continuous opening and closing.

A check point I use all the time is toe-touch. A player should still be closed w their upper body, bat still closed (positions vary) w the hips a bit open or square (time dependent) and the core stretched. That’s the important part. But the hips opening are a result of staying closed w the upper and lower longer so the stretch reflex can activate.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
A tale of 2 force producers.

I’m not picking on you FB. Just trying to shed some light on sequential loading and unloading or more loading? Maybe a thought of ‘closing’ should be loading and ‘opening’ can be thought of as unloading. As well as a few compensatory movements which can hinder a good sequence.

the first toss swing. The hands load out of sequence(early) so they unload (cast) early. Pulling the ball correctly becomes tough. A longer swing ensues; Usually ends up cheating to the inside. The entire load should take place during the forward move.

View attachment 20497

The second swing the hands don’t load at all and come w the hips so the core isn’t being utilized. Outside pitches become hard to stay on.

View attachment 20498

i would work on movement and creating better angles for these particular issues. It’s a case of less is more. Maybe try a Bregman cue with the ‘flashlights’. The effect of that thought creates tighter turns and quicker segmented swings. Try a ‘chest back’ towards the catcher thought. It takes the arms and shoulders out of it early and gets the core more involved. The cue I gave previously about trying to keep the front elbow ‘down’ is apart of the same theory. You could do the feet crossed tee drill. It starts a player closed and the cue is ‘try to stay closed’. Or ‘maintain your angles’ longer.

for me it’s about staying closed and out of plane until committal. That’s where the explosion comes from. And even after launch the feet are trying to stop the opening of the hips etc etc up the chain. It’s a continuous opening and closing.

A check point I use all the time is toe-touch. A player should still be closed w their upper body, bat still closed (positions vary) w the hips a bit open or square (time dependent) and the core stretched. That’s the important part. But the hips opening are a result of staying closed w the upper and lower longer so the stretch reflex can activate.

Hope this helps.

Not picking on me at all. I just really appreciate the effort you put into the post. I am definitely learning on the fly here and understand more and more each time I go back reread and then try out with DD and myself. We will be in the cage a couple times this week and will work on trying to get the separation she needs. The happy Gilmore drill I think will help for sure and it’s kinda fun.

I am realizing my issue at this point is doing too many things at one and need to address this individually and fix the next thing that breaks after getting this corrected.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you and your family as well as the rest of DFP.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478