10,000 Hours Doesn't Make You Perfect

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 27, 2010
I read Gladwell's book quite awhile ago, but I think he was more stating that it requires 10,000 hours to be truly the best in your field, not that 10,000 hours is a guarantee to get you there. The master coach and trigger is a big piece as well. My 14U DD is a far better pitcher than she would have been without a very strong pitching teammate pushing her to be better since they were 8U. Now that we've found a coach that fits well with DD she is even more focused. It does seem to all fit together & make sense, whether the science proves it or not. it was a good read regardless.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Since this is apparently a music based study, I have a few ramblings...
In Music, you can spend the first half of your career identifying what is "good" sound, then you spend the rest of your life seeking consistency. Many will never be any better at identifying good from bad after 10kh than they were the first 20m.

I used to put in at least 35h a week at music, which makes 10kh about 28 weeks. Show me a musician who mastered an instrument in 7 months, let alone making music.

Oct 18, 2009
Since this is apparently a music based study, I have a few ramblings...
In Music, you can spend the first half of your career identifying what is "good" sound, then you spend the rest of your life seeking consistency. Many will never be any better at identifying good from bad after 10kh than they were the first 20m.

I used to put in at least 35h a week at music, which makes 10kh about 28 weeks. Show me a musician who mastered an instrument in 7 months, let alone making music.

35 hours a week for ~285 weeks is 10,000 hours not 28 weeks.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
After 10,000 hours, some will be pretty darned good. Others with the same time will look relatively lousy. Some could end up pretty darned good after 100 hours. Others.... I won't matter how much time they spend. They never will be great. Then there's everything in between.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32