Value of staying on JV

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
The “we” really stuck with me.
I really try to not say "we". However, the truth is "we" really do work hard with and for them. She is not paying for lessons, hotel, or meals when we travel. She is not taking taking balls off the shin during her pitching lessons. She is not throwing herself front toss at the field (or picking them up by herself) or hitting herself fly balls and grounders. She is certainly not getting up by herself at ungodly hours to make that 1:30 minute drive for her 7 AM start time.

I wouldn't change it for the world though. Last weekend my Saturday consisted of laundry, Cost Co, and regular grocery shopping. I am ready for Tournaments to start.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
If my 08 freshman DD makes V this year (unlikely but not impossible – lost 2 seniors, with 5 strong incoming freshman, one objectively better than the rest who are all about the same but one is a catcher), she will sit the bench. She would also likely double roster and play JV games (they will have to do this regardless of which freshman make the varsity).

It would be “neat” if she made V (really just for the sake of having made it but not because it would further her player development), but either way, she’ll play JV games – half of those games will be good, half will be pointless. But, coming off of middle school ball, we’re used to that.

If there was a choice to be made one way or the other, would probably encourage her to play JV, just because at least it’s some playing time / reps.

Oct 4, 2018
As someone who has coached at the JV and varsity level for quite a while, the kids usually want to make the varsity team and then after a few weeks of sitting the bench are begging me to play in some JV games. Varsity sounds fun until you realize you aren’t going to play. The number of kids that are in the transfer portal is further proof.

Exactly this. Parents and players love the ego boost of making varsity, but within weeks are bored and begging to play in JV games.

Oct 4, 2018
Not saying that ego is the issue with the OP, but it is very true a lot of times. Last night I was talking to a dad who was saying he hopes his daughter makes the varsity team at tryouts next week and not the JV team. He said “we“ have worked hard for this.

The “we” really stuck with me.

I've told my 8th grade DD I really hope she makes JV. She has a good shot of making Varsity, but I've seen how it'll play out. Her ego wants to be the first kid in over a decade to make Varsity as a 9th grader. If she does, I'm hoping she'll let the ego boost ride for a week, enjoy that (as she earned it), and then ask coach if she can play JV.

But I really think she'd be better playing JV. It's her IRL friends, it's paying her dues, it's not rocking the boat... she'll have many more years at Varsity. Just go dominate JV and have fun.

Oct 4, 2018
I really try to not say "we". However, the truth is "we" really do work hard with and for them. She is not paying for lessons, hotel, or meals when we travel. She is not taking taking balls off the shin during her pitching lessons. She is not throwing herself front toss at the field (or picking them up by herself) or hitting herself fly balls and grounders. She is certainly not getting up by herself at ungodly hours to make that 1:30 minute drive for her 7 AM start time.

I wouldn't change it for the world though. Last weekend my Saturday consisted of laundry, Cost Co, and regular grocery shopping. I am ready for Tournaments to start.

You're just doing what a good parent does. She is the softball player. :)

But I agree. I put a lot of time, energy, thought and money into her softball. And I've gotten good at throwing BP.

Jun 20, 2015
playing is better than sitting. period. Also, I've witnessed these players on the bubble with Varsity. Since they have no set place on field or lineup, they tend to get the shaft with regards to field and batting reps. Unless your DD likes to run in practice alot on the bases.

Go to JV, have fun, kick butt and be so good the coach cannot ignore her.

Apr 1, 2017
To me, playing is better than not playing. As a few others have said, there are only so many years that our daughters get to play this game. I don't see the value in spending one spring of those years sitting on the bench.

Aug 31, 2020
Going through this conversation right now. My freshman would love the idea of making varsity but understands she'd likely be an end of bench player this year since the team is loaded. She'd rather play this year than sit.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
As a varsity coach, I do not feel there is any benefit to sitting if there is an opportunity to play. I also have our JV and Varsity practice together, that way everyone is getting the best possible coaching. Our JV coaches are not bad but I feel as a group each player is better because of all of us.

I would hope if the two teams are not playing at same time she would be able to be in the dugout and learn that way too. We will even allow a limited number of middle school players in our dugout from time to time to see how things are expected to run when they get there.

Side note. I do not agree with "rules" that juniors can not play JV. I was a junior behind a senior when I played and would travel with the JV when we did not have a varsity game. When the state tournament came around we had a player suspended and I was able to get in the line up. My senior year I played every varsity game and was ready for my chance. I was able to go on and play college ball too. Just my $.02 on that "rule."

Oct 26, 2019
As a varsity coach, I do not feel there is any benefit to sitting if there is an opportunity to play. I also have our JV and Varsity practice together, that way everyone is getting the best possible coaching. Our JV coaches are not bad but I feel as a group each player is better because of all of us.

I would hope if the two teams are not playing at same time she would be able to be in the dugout and learn that way too. We will even allow a limited number of middle school players in our dugout from time to time to see how things are expected to run when they get there.

Side note. I do not agree with "rules" that juniors can not play JV. I was a junior behind a senior when I played and would travel with the JV when we did not have a varsity game. When the state tournament came around we had a player suspended and I was able to get in the line up. My senior year I played every varsity game and was ready for my chance. I was able to go on and play college ball too. Just my $.02 on that "rule."
Where we live juniors can play JV with principal and athletic Director approval. It is not common, but we do it in cases where the kid is at the appropriate skill level playing JV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood