Texas Tech Softball $10,000 NIL Deal for softball players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
This is the first deal of this kind that I have heard of for softball players. Not sure if I am a fan of this or not but if I was a female softball player I would certainly be excited to make an additional $10,000 per year to play collegiate softball at Texas Tech. It will be interesting to see if this happens at other P5 softball schools.

Basically 27 Texas Tech softball players will be paid $10,000 per year for the name, image and likeness + participate in some community service projects.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Wouldn't certain highlight athletes be more marketable $$$$$ for their likeness and image?!

Feb 25, 2020
Are they maybe redistributing wealth here? Or just distributing scholarships that aren't official scholarships?

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Maybe they are getting ahead of a growing opportunity for players…. players can do this on their own without the college. If the college offers a deal but handles all of the details - does it allow the player to focus playing, school and special events instead of also having to be a media, marketing and brand manager? Or…is the college making more $$$ on the players and just giving them a Small cut?
interesting…..

Dec 11, 2010
From another thread Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Arkansas are already doing this.

The Matador Club is a collective run by the school that is distributes the $$$.

The speculation is that this is how Oklahoma adds a few All Americans to the roster who have to “pay” out of state tuition.
——————————————————————————
My comments:

This is really all about football. Softball will pick up some pretty nice scraps ***at some schools***. This is kind of like “cost of attendance” money on steroids, that money is pretty beneficial for those who receive it. Cost of attendance money is money players can spend on anything, and it’s really a nice thing. Cost of attendance money is a number set by the school per player, but the coach can use it any way they want in some cases.

Thats my understanding anyway. Probably somewhere between 40-80% accurate lol

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
Before I got excited over the $10K, I'd want to know what the university is making.
I get the "what is the university making" discussion but if the players are getting anything, isn't that a win? If a company just gets a big contract and gives all the employees a raise, isn't that the same thing?

Yes, I would like the players to be helped out as much as possible and yes the cost of higher education right now is ridiculous. As long as the players/students are getting a benefit, isn't that a bonus? These players did not sign at TT knowing they would get this money. So therefore, it should lift some burden on whoever is paying for their education. It is like another scholarship for each player and not just the highly recruited ones.

Dec 11, 2010
As a parent currently writing checks for his second college student, I couldn’t care less what the university is making.

That money is a godsend for players not on full scholarship, and most aren’t no matter what their goofy parents claim.

If you can get our kid out of school without too much debt you are doing great.

If you are a parent with a young kid reading this, I hope you can find a way to start saving for school NOW. It helps a lot.

Jun 8, 2016
From another thread Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Arkansas are already doing this.

The Matador Club is a collective run by the school that is distributes the $$$.
I want to go on record and say I am not receiving any NIL money from The Matador Club, The Desperado Club, The Torero Club or any other club.

Jun 8, 2016
If you are a parent with a young kid reading this, I hope you can find a way to start saving for school NOW. It helps a lot.
You almost made me go check to see how the kid’s 529 plan was doing but then I thought better of it..good try 😉

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28