“If you want to know what a girl will look like, take a look at her Mother (Father)"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Originally Posted by coach james

Thank GOD she doesn't resemble me.... I look a bit too much like Shrek! Lol
Will.........not........respond.........with..........snarky..........comment............

200.gif

Jun 7, 2013
MNDad -- I, as a father, have gone thru the same self-examination process many times concerning my DDs. It's what fathers do. However, in your case I hope that you realize that your DD is doing great!!! And a lot of that is because of YOU!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When college coaches recruited seniors most girls were mature and done growing. Now they are verballing 9th and 10th graders who are still growing, so they may want to look at the parent as another data point when making a decision. As colleges recruit players earlier a lot of "speculation" is used, and unfortunately for the college coaches, their careers often depend on them making good choices.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
That may be what they're doing, but I personally think that practice sucks, not only morally, but in terms of the ability to make accurate predictions. My DD should not be penalized because I've never been an athlete or had an athletic build. My husband played sports in high school, but is no elite athlete either. I would be willing to bet that the majority of parents of girls on Div 1 teams were probably not athletes of the same caliber. Should only "legacies" be given a chance to play on the college level?

Jun 7, 2013
I suspect that the coaches who try to extrapolate the prowess of a high school athlete with the dimension of whom the parents are/were athletically, probably won't be a college coach for long.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Sort of going by the same bloodline philosophy that horse breeders use. Hey, it worked with Slew o' Gold, sired by Seattle Slew. Worked for Clay Matthews and Barry Bonds, too.
Didn't work quite as well for Pete Rose, Jr.

I've known softball players who had parents who were D1 baseball or softball players, or even minor league baseball players. Their DDs were good, often the best players on their HS or TB teams, but not D1, although some of the girls still have a few years left before heading to college to improve. One is really ripping it in college, best hitter on her team, probably her conference, but she is D3. These had the advantages of good genes and parents who could coach and/or practice with them.

OTOH, someone did a study that talented kids of klutzes have a secret advantage: their parents are absolutely amazed at how good their kids are, and are more likely to be encouraging and less critical of mistakes. I think the study was done by a klutz who wanted to feel better, but being a klutz myself, it is a bit reassuring.

Jun 7, 2013
OTOH, someone did a study that talented kids of klutzes have a secret advantage: their parents are absolutely amazed at how good their kids are, and are more likely to be encouraging and less critical of mistakes. I think the study was done by a klutz who wanted to feel better, but being a klutz myself, it is a bit reassuring.

Us klutzes need to take all of the reassurance that we can get!

Jul 3, 2014
Inland Empire
Wow, i'd hate recruiters to compare my daughters to me....I'm 6'4 and about 290lbs... I'd hate to think my 10 & 11 yr old DDs would turn out like me! They get their athleticism and height from me (former D1AA o-lineman). At their age they're almost at tall at their mom, she's 5'4 and about 130 lbs...but has never played a sport in her lifetime! I'd be cool if they got my height, but not my weight!

Mar 11, 2009
When college coaches recruited seniors most girls were mature and done growing. Now they are verballing 9th and 10th graders who are still growing, so they may want to look at the parent as another data point when making a decision. As colleges recruit players earlier a lot of "speculation" is used, and unfortunately for the college coaches, their careers often depend on them making good choices.

I really like the point you made here, and wish coaches would go back to making verbal commitments with players as juniors and seniors. We don't have Olympic softball any more and coaches aren't going away to coach national teams for two years so they don't need to recruit early. Maybe the trend will work its way back to juniors and seniors. But until that happens coaches will have to look at parents size and build to help pre determine physicality of prospects. They will always look at parents attitudes no matter what age they recruit the kids at so parents be on your best behavior out there on the bleachers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck