“If you want to know what a girl will look like, take a look at her Mother (Father)"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
You should pose this question to college coaches, because their opinions are the ones that matter. MY opinion is that while no coach is going to base their decision solely on looking at a players parents, I think it MAY come into play when a coach has to decide between two players who otherwise are equals. Do you think Jenny Finch's daughter would get more consideration from a college coach than other players? What if a players dad was a former major leaguer?

No, I understand that genetic freaks of nature (e.g., families with multiple elite athletes) will likely get extra consideration. That makes sense to me. But, to use a different kind of example, would someone like Kelly Clarkson be ignored by a record label because her mother can't sing? That just doesn't make sense to me at all. Meanwhile, if Kelly Clarkson's daughter winds up a singing prodigy, she'll probably get extra attention. Nepotism is the way of the world. This just seems like reverse unnecessary nepotism.

Aug 26, 2015
No, I understand that genetic freaks of nature (e.g., families with multiple elite athletes) will likely get extra consideration. That makes sense to me. But, to use a different kind of example, would someone like Kelly Clarkson be ignored by a record label because her mother can't sing? That just doesn't make sense to me at all. Meanwhile, if Kelly Clarkson's daughter winds up a singing prodigy, she'll probably get extra attention. Nepotism is the way of the world. This just seems like reverse unnecessary nepotism.

That's not the way it works, though imho. Coaches are not coming to see the parents' weight first. I doubt it even cracks the top 10 in their minds. You're comparing apples to zebras here. There are plenty of "newcomers" to the music industry and college sb where the parents had no talent or desire before the child. I venture to say that any coach who goes in to see a prospective college player with the mindset, "if the mom or dad is a hippo, this kid has no shot in my program", won't last long OR wont' be competitive. DD and I watched quite a bit of the WCWS this year and there were alot of "big-boneded" girls out there. Sorry, just not seeing the theory hold water here.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
That's not the way it works, though imho. Coaches are not coming to see the parents' weight first. I doubt it even cracks the top 10 in their minds. You're comparing apples to zebras here. There are plenty of "newcomers" to the music industry and college sb where the parents had no talent or desire before the child. I venture to say that any coach who goes in to see a prospective college player with the mindset, "if the mom or dad is a hippo, this kid has no shot in my program", won't last long OR wont' be competitive. DD and I watched quite a bit of the WCWS this year and there were alot of "big-boneded" girls out there. Sorry, just not seeing the theory hold water here.

No, I agree with you completely! It seemed to me that using a parent's weight as a data point in terms of decision-making (even as a tie-breaker) is really pretty crazy. Most people don't get heavy until AFTER college, and the daughter in question wouldn't balloon up if she's following her team's workout regimen. So, why would it even enter a coach's mind?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
No, I agree with you completely! It seemed to me that using a parent's weight as a data point in terms of decision-making (even as a tie-breaker) is really pretty crazy. Most people don't get heavy until AFTER college, and the daughter in question wouldn't balloon up if she's following her team's workout regimen. So, why would it even enter a coach's mind?

It is usually not discussed, but I know one player who lost her verbal commitments because she put on excessive "bad weight" from the time she verballed until right before she was supposed to sign her NLI. I also know a player who is "big boned" and the school that verballed her put a weight stipulation in their agreement. As I mentioned before, a lot of schools are verballing 9th and 10th graders, and a lot can change in 2-3 years before players start their freshman year. Some changes can be positive (bigger, stronger, faster) and some may be negative (bad weight, injuries, loss of desire).

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DW, bless her heart, tried to catch DD pitching once. :)

She learned it was cheaper to just pay the kid next door a few bucks, he will do it for free.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
FWIW I was referring to poor eating habits and not genetics. Parents are overweight because we're not eating right and we're not active enough. That's not always reflected in the kids, but as a coach projecting 4-5 years down the road I would think it's a consideration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck