“If you want to know what a girl will look like, take a look at her Mother (Father)"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2014
I sure hope that isn't the case. Lets just say that when you quit smoking cold turkey, bad things happen to women! Not to mention, I am only 5'8 and my 13 yr old daughter is already 6' tall and still growing. Genetics don't always come directly from the parent, they can come from their immediate family. My husband is an ogre and his mother was maybe 5' tall. My biological father is 6'7 and his sister is the shortest sibling at 6'1. Not to mention there are plenty of medications out there that will screw you big time in the weight department. Don't plan on staying thin if you ever have to take beta blockers and steroids at the same time. But really, if my daughter or son is ever in a position of being recruited, I will be more worried about what comes out of my mouth, her attitude and how we carry ourselves.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
That may be what they're doing, but I personally think that practice sucks, not only morally, but in terms of the ability to make accurate predictions. My DD should not be penalized because I've never been an athlete or had an athletic build. My husband played sports in high school, but is no elite athlete either. I would be willing to bet that the majority of parents of girls on Div 1 teams were probably not athletes of the same caliber. Should only "legacies" be given a chance to play on the college level?

Pretend you are a college coach and you are recruiting a 2018 MIF and you have one spot and three players you are strongly considering. All three girls are similar stature and ability. Let's say one is an A student, one is a B student and one is a C student. Which one are you going to lean towards? Now let's say they are all A students and if you look at their parents one set is overweight, one set is average and one set looks like crossfit trainers. Which way are you going to lean? Recruiting is easy when one player is "head and shoulders" better than the others, it is when you have subtle differences that it is difficult, and as I mentioned before a lot of 9th and 10th graders are still growing, which adds to the degree of difficulty.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Let's face it if a kid can rake the coaches don't even care if she is big, let alone her Parent. To answer the question of 3 similar athletes how would they decide. It's simple the one who runs the fastest,

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I live in the middle of the country, and softball people here tend to be big. The wife and I have put on a few extra pounds as we've aged, but going to the ball park is a great way to delude ourselves into thinking we're skinny. Schools would miss out on many fine athletes by evaluating the 40+ year-old parent's athletic potential.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Pretend you are a college coach and you are recruiting a 2018 MIF and you have one spot and three players you are strongly considering. All three girls are similar stature and ability. Let's say one is an A student, one is a B student and one is a C student. Which one are you going to lean towards? Now let's say they are all A students and if you look at their parents one set is overweight, one set is average and one set looks like crossfit trainers. Which way are you going to lean? Recruiting is easy when one player is "head and shoulders" better than the others, it is when you have subtle differences that it is difficult, and as I mentioned before a lot of 9th and 10th graders are still growing, which adds to the degree of difficulty.

Trying to differentiate between athletically even-matched girls based on attributes related to the girls themselves (achievement, attitude, whatever)=totally legit. Doing so by judging based on genetics=flawed logic and just kind of silly. Again I'll ask: what if one of the three girls is adopted? You have no genetic "data point."

Sorry, I'm a psychologist and that's my research methods background coming out. Prove to me the predictive validity of looking at a parent's build/health in terms of how it predicts a daughter's athletic performance and I'll eat my words.

Aug 26, 2015
Trying to differentiate between athletically even-matched girls based on attributes related to the girls themselves (achievement, attitude, whatever)=totally legit. Doing so by judging based on genetics=flawed logic and just kind of silly. Again I'll ask: what if one of the three girls is adopted? You have no genetic "data point."

Sorry, I'm a psychologist and that's my research methods background coming out. Prove to me the predictive validity of looking at a parent's build/health in terms of how it predicts a daughter's athletic performance and I'll eat my words.

I hear you, but unfortunately, all the coaches are flawed and their logic can be in any area.....like the rest of us. Just a question here...

What about the "soon to be student athlete" who had 2 collegiate or professional athletic parents? Or the kid who comes from a line of a single parent and multiple siblings of great athletes? By your deductive reasoning, shouldn't that be ignored? I don't think I'll ever see a day when the majority of coaches would pass on that "other species athletic freak". Not saying it's right or wrong. Just saying....it's the thought process.

My point is.....if you have the mindset that "it's their loss if they look at YOUR physique and ignore your DD's ability (or make that a negative to the point they don't want to offer an invitation to their team), they can kick rocks", you can leave them to their own devices and enjoy the process of working with coaches who don't mind "plump" parents, like myself ;)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

You should pose this question to college coaches, because their opinions are the ones that matter. MY opinion is that while no coach is going to base their decision solely on looking at a players parents, I think it MAY come into play when a coach has to decide between two players who otherwise are equals. Do you think Jenny Finch's daughter would get more consideration from a college coach than other players? What if a players dad was a former major leaguer?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck