Zepp Swing Analyzer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD's swing speeds range from 50 to 69 with the odd 81 in there. For her size and age Zepp goes green above 58 mph. I like the faster swings but am more concerned with bat angle and plane. Anything above 50 with the other two being green is out of the infield and Line Drives are what we want with the occasional dinger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I just looked in the zepp library. There are pros you can compare to... J. Finch has 4 cuts to choose from. 2 swings say 73mph and 2 say 71...(shes the one and only female/softball model to compare)
However, Mike Trout and Hunter Pence are both over 100mph. Pence has one on there thats 106!!!

Oct 10, 2011
I'm 6'3" tall. 260lbs. I spent 12 years in the Army as an engineer and straightleg infantry 60 gunner. My old fighting weight was 215... lol that was 17 years of marriage ago! ;)
I have a reach of 76" ( wing span) long arms and I have played baseball and softball since I was 5 and I'm 39 now...
If anyone would like to see a few screen shots of my zepp data, pm me with your cell# and I'll text them to you.

I've seen them and they are almost as good as mine;) JK... they are quite impressive.

Oct 10, 2011
I had the chance to talk to a Zepp tech help guy this morning about a couple things.
1) For DD he recommended that when doing the calibration process, she hold at the "tip" she reaches while striding. So, basically when the knob is pointing in the direction of the catcher's feet.
2) She had some funky bat paths, especially after contact. He said this occurs at impact because of the "shock" at impact. It can scramble the Zepp's brains for a moment:) This is actually common and that the bat path before impact is more important. This will not make a difference in the numbers.
3) Zepp vs Swing Speed's results on bat speed. Zepp calculates speed at impact and depending where impact is, the speed may be significantly slower or faster than the Swing Speed radar because that radar calculates at one point during the swing (and is the same point each time which makes for more consistent numbers)

Oct 10, 2011
I believe you know this, just pointing it out.

The Zepp measures "bat speed" and not "ball exit speed". Doesn't matter if the bat is 'hot' or not.

Do you have a database of "bat speeds"?
Yes, I realize that. That's why I was trying to italicize when I wrote Exit speeds. Everyone knows ball exit speed will be slightly higher than swing speed. How hot the bat is will make a difference in exit speed, but not Swing speed. At Tennessee, everyone had to use the same 33/23 bat for the test.
I don't have the database for swing speeds, but I do have for NFCA Ball Exit Speeds. It's on their website.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Oct 10, 2011
The average MLB player weighs about 190ish lbs... I wonder how that correlates to the average swing speed.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
For swing speeds, you also have to have the correct bat length and weight in the profile. I have one player whose profile I cannot edit whose bat is entered as 45" 14 oz. Her bat is actually a 31-20. The swing speed reads out at over 80 mph because of the incorrect bat length and weight.

Oct 25, 2009
Just took a few swings after a quickie setup—bat length/weight, calibration. Hitting into a punching bag. After a few "fast" swings I swung in slow motion a few times with hard impact though wrist torque right at poc. Bat speed didn't change much (28 mph); hand speed 9 mph; time to impact, .356; vertical, –15º; angle, 20º. Bat path and plane appeared to be dead on; no real path after contact, of course.

Probably different data after I read all the instructions. I think this thing is going to be very useful. I just wanted to see why it wouldn't do slow motion; but it does do slow motion!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red