You only have 20 mins-what do you do..........??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Sit them in a circle facing out. Each girl gets a sheet of paper and a pencil that she writes her name on. They pass the papers around the circle and write something positive about each girl.

It's amazing what some of these kids learn about themselves when they get their paper back.

Jan 20, 2010
I am a big fan of four corners, but cut off drills are fun. Two lines up first and thrird base. Start at the fence end at home. every other round skip a cut to force a throw to home. Improved my cuts big time. teaches them how to line up for the throw to the next base catch glove hand side ready to fire.

Aug 9, 2013
Had this opportunity yesterday waiting for a game to finish. Ran em out to third and ran ground ball drills - single ball, two balls, two balls with a charge - all with throws to the base we called (coaches covering the bases to get everyone the throwing and fielding practice) finished with two balls with a charge and a flip to the plate.

Aug 29, 2013
Whiffle ball game. Four players only in the field. Teach the girls to move out of their "circle" to field balls. Most players these days didn't get the chance to go "all out" in an unstructured game of ball. It gives them a whole new perspective. It pushes them to be aggressive and get to everything. It's also super fun!

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Play a game of war. separate them into two teams. One team lines up between 2nd and 3rd. One team between first and second. Hit grounders to them. if a grounder gets to the grass then that team loses a player. continue until one side wins. Keeps em loose but gets em into the mindset of trying to win at something.

I do something similar at the end of practice some times. I have one group line up between 1st and 2nd, and the other group between 3rd and home. I place a ball at the halfway point between the 2 teams, and then the 2 fastest race to see who could pick it up 1st (I make sure to have them slide into it on opposite sides to avoid head-first collisions). Then they take turns throwing the ball in the dirt at each other. The idea is to try get the ball past the other team on the ground. The girls on the receiving end of the throw have to communicate with each other as to who will field and who will back her up. If the ball gets through, then the girl who attempted to field the ball is out. If the ball gets through but is successfully backed up by a teammate, then everyone is safe. If the ball is caught in the air, then the thrower is out and the defending team gets to bring a player back in. If the thrown ball goes outside the bases or over the imaginary line between the bases in the air, then the thrower is out. One other thing I do is set cones on the bases, and as the amount of defending players shrinks, I move the cones in so the remaining defenders don't have as much ground to defend. It's amazing to see some of the weakest fielders (in practice drills) turn into such competitors when we do this. The girls LOVE this game, and they don't realize that they are working on fielding, communicating, and backing each other up the whole time. Warning you now: leave enough time at the end of practice to do this at least 2 or 3 times, because one game is never enough. The defeated team always wants another crack at it. I've used this at the 8u, 12u, and 14u level, and they all love it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA