Yellow logo on pitchers glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
At an ASA tournament this weekend, I had a kid pitching with a black Wilson A2000 glove. The umpire told her that the glove was illegal because the W was yellow.

I realize that having optic yellow on the glove is in the rulebook, but I've never heard it interpreted this way. I know that I could black out the logo with a market, but I'm curious if anyone has heard this before?

-W

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The rule does state that a pitcher's glove may not contain any of the same color as the ball. Calling the yellow Wilson logo the same color as the ball is a real stretch. I have never heard of an umpire interpreting it that way, have never interpreted it that way in a game I've umpired and have never been offered this interpretation in any training class or clinic I've attended.

While this is somewhat subject to the individual umpire's judgment, that doesn't mean he will use sound judgment. Frankly, when I hear about stuff like this it just makes me scratch my head. First, it makes me think that the umpire has no clue as to the spirit or intent of the rule. Then I wonder why he would even bother making an issue about something that is way down the list of things he should be worrying about to properly administer a ball game.

Or maybe the guy is just color blind...

Jul 26, 2010
Thanks BretMan, I appreciate it.

I guess it drove me a bit batty because the pitcher in question wasn't having the most spectacular day, it seemed really nit-picky to me. If she was mowing down batters I can see the other coach looking for something to complain about in which case this may come up again. It was a 12u halloween tournament, the girls from all teams were wearing costumes, and this poor kid has to borrow a glove mid-inning. Just seemed silly.

Thanks again for the responses!

-W

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The rule does state that a pitcher's glove may not contain any of the same color as the ball. Calling the yellow Wilson logo the same color as the ball is a real stretch. I have never heard of an umpire interpreting it that way, have never interpreted it that way in a game I've umpired and have never been offered this interpretation in any training class or clinic I've attended.

I have seen the ASA Supervisor of Umpires hold up this glove and clearly state this and similar gloves are not permitted in ASA ball.

Does it seem nit-picky? I guess to some, but it clearly violates the rule. There is no doubt to that fact.

And to be honest, I can understand why it is not legal. At what point does it become a distraction? What shade of green or yellow doesn't or does not match a new ball, used ball, dirty ball.....? Is a 2" letter/logo okay, but a 3" letter/logo not? If not, how about a 4", 5", 6"......? Would that be diameter or length or width or both?

Take the guess work out. If it is close, ASA is going to say the glove is not legal.

Mar 13, 2010
I'm suprised that Worth even put it on the glove. There's no point even being close with something like that. I just bought Jenny Finch's batting gloves (PINK!) and I rang an umpire before I bought them to see if I could wear them under my glove when pitching.

Some people will use any advantage. I've seen girls walk up to the plate with those knee guards folded over with the balls on them and expect to pitch. I played a girl when I was younger (when we were still using white balls) who expected to be able to pitch with white sweat guards on. People will do anything to get an advantage and they need to be strict.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have seen the ASA Supervisor of Umpires hold up this glove and clearly state this and similar gloves are not permitted in ASA ball.

The Wilson A2000 that has the stock yellow Wilson logo that they've been using for about 40 years? That surprises me. I've had our local UIC point out in a clinic that gloves with optic yellow can't be used by the pitcher, but never the standard Wilson logo.

If forced to rule on this in one of my games, my personal judgment would be that these are not the same two colors.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The Wilson A2000 that has the stock yellow Wilson logo that they've been using for about 40 years? That surprises me. I've had our local UIC point out in a clinic that gloves with optic yellow can't be used by the pitcher, but never the standard Wilson logo.

If forced to rule on this in one of my games, my personal judgment would be that these are not the same two colors.

And I do not disagree with you, just pointing out what has occurred.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619