Wristbands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
How many numbers are on your cards?

96 in total. Here is an example of a pitcher card for a specific player. You read the row for the first two numbers and down the column for the third. So 531 is a CH (Change-up).

If you stare at it long enough you realize that your numbers will always end in 0,1,2, or 3. Any number that doesn't is a fake number and doesn't mean anything.

You can also signal any number with one hand (5 or less for all possible combinations).

1684870851779.png

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
Back to report my findings after using wristbands for 2 tournaments so far.

The overall experience has been great. I did have some challenges getting the grid to fit the window. I use nevermissasign.com and when you put in the size you need, mine always came out to about the same size which didn't fit our wristband window. Luckily myself and my assitant coach are photoshop savy so we resized it on there and got it to fit. No problem. Took the kids about 1 practice to get it down. They picked up on the abbreviations quickly and got the system down. Some acted a little goofy at first but once they focused on the process it was very easy for them to learn the system. We practiced at the end of practice for about 10 minutes the first 3 days. 4th day we had a scrimmage to put it to the test and the kids passed with flying colors.

In the games, missed signs have severely been cut down. First weekend we played 5 games and I missed only 2 signs the whole time. The 2nd weekend we played 6 games and missed about 3 or 4 signs. It was mostly due to mental mistakes on their part or not finding the correct square on the grid.

For pace of play, I have noticed us playing more innings per game. Before we would get about 4 innings, maybe 5 in the time limit. Now I notice us getting 5-6 innings consistently. As long as you (the coach) know what you want to call and are thinking ahead, there is no slow down at all. I've done both calling out numbers as well as use my fingers. My preference is to use fingers, but you have to go a little slower particularly so runner on 1st can see the signs.

Overall Im very happy with it. It's a great system and has been very successful for our team. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nov 5, 2014
There are so many cool things you can do (the game within the game) that wristbands don’t do. For example, most of the signs I give don’t actually mean anything. I just want the other team to think they do. Most of our live signs are subtle and not given traditionally. Calling out over 100 3 number combinations every game when only a handful of them are live sounds exhausting to me.

I also think they take away from kids, independent thinking and development because everything is scripted.

There is my free opinion on wristbands that no one asked for :)
Agree with you 100% and will add after going to every one of DD's games this year at the mid major D1 level coaches for both our team and our opponents who use wristbands often gave away the play because they could be seen searching their card for the call in a situation where a play might be on. If no play was on the call was smooth and quick. If they gave a sign at all often they only have signs when a play was on. For example

Close game, runner on third, less than 2 out and you see the third base coach scanning their card frantically before giving the numbers... here comes the squeeze whereas as if the hitter is just swinging away the sign came out immediately.

Don't have any data to support this but anecdotally it felt to me like the teams giving traditional hand signs had a faster pace of play and fewer coach conferences with players.That could just be my bias against wristbands though.

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
There are so many cool things you can do (the game within the game) that wristbands don’t do. For example, most of the signs I give don’t actually mean anything. I just want the other team to think they do. Most of our live signs are subtle and not given traditionally. Calling out over 100 3 number combinations every game when only a handful of them are live sounds exhausting to me.

I also think they take away from kids, independent thinking and development because everything is scripted.

There is my free opinion on wristbands that no one asked for :)
Some coaches like to do the macarana at 3rd base :)

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
Agree with you 100% and will add after going to every one of DD's games this year at the mid major D1 level coaches for both our team and our opponents who use wristbands often gave away the play because they could be seen searching their card for the call in a situation where a play might be on. If no play was on the call was smooth and quick. If they gave a sign at all often they only have signs when a play was on. For example

Close game, runner on third, less than 2 out and you see the third base coach scanning their card frantically before giving the numbers... here comes the squeeze whereas as if the hitter is just swinging away the sign came out immediately.

Don't have any data to support this but anecdotally it felt to me like the teams giving traditional hand signs had a faster pace of play and fewer coach conferences with players.That could just be my bias against wristbands though.
Sounds like 1 of 2 things happening here. Coach doesn't know what to call in the situation or they are not well versed in their cards, or not thinking ahead (probably why they coach at a mid major and not a power 5). I don't have the same issues and I just started using numbers.

Most the college games I see they are using numbers and cards, never have any issues.

May 23, 2021
I'm an old-school guy at heart, but I gave in to the wristband method a couple of years ago and have never looked back. Plus, as a 16u coach now, most of my players use wristbands in HS so the transition is just easier. Some even use the exact program we use. Easy peazy. As others have said, most memorize the calls and our pitchers rarely have to do more than glance at the band occasionally.

Same on offense. Calling a number takes no more time than the batter stepping out for me to cycle through the signs.

Reactions: RJK
Aug 1, 2019
MN
Worst systems I have seen have the lower numbers for a nothing call/swing away such as 030, 101, etc. and that's all you hear for a while. All of a sudden there's an obvious bunt situation and they call out something like 425 or 535. Hmmmm....

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
Worst systems I have seen have the lower numbers for a nothing call/swing away such as 030, 101, etc. and that's all you hear for a while. All of a sudden there's an obvious bunt situation and they call out something like 425 or 535. Hmmmm....
To me thats either lazy calls by the coach or its not randomized enough. Using software like never miss a sign dot com will randomize it for you.

I think the absolute worst I've seen is calling out numbers for the pitcher and she or the catcher doesn't have a wristband on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13