Wristbands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I dont need 3, but I need more than 1. One side for offense and one for defense. I suppose they could switch the cards, but i feel like that could lead to lost cards.

I would forgo the defensive cards as it's a bit much and there are other ways to communicate what you want defensively.

• Laminate the cards so players can change them out and they don't get destroyed.
  • You are going to need more than one set as some teams will try and write your numbers down/crack the code. You will play some teams more than once each season.
  • Get plastic sleeves to keep the coach's master sheet and the cards together as one set.
  • Have a marker on each card (I used an actual date and time) that matches the coach's master sheet (to the cards). This way you know everyone has the same card as the coach.
  • Collect the cards after each game/pitching change.
  • Pitchers and catchers will need two wristbands (one for offense and one for pitch calling and pick plays).

Once you have it set up there is very little work involved. Two or three sets will get you through a whole season.

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
I would forgo the defensive cards as it's a bit much and there are other ways to communicate what you want defensively.

• Laminate the cards so players can change them out and they don't get destroyed.
  • You are going to need more than one set as some teams will try and write your numbers down/crack the code. You will play some teams more than once each season.
  • Get plastic sleeves to keep the coach's master sheet and the cards together as one set.
  • Have a marker on each card (I used an actual date and time) that matches the coach's master sheet (to the cards). This way you know everyone has the same card as the coach.
  • Pitchers and catchers will need two wristbands (one for offense and one for pitch calling and pick plays).

Once you have it set up there is very little work involved. Two or three sets will get you through a whole season.
Thanks, this is helpful. I plan to call pitches the same as I've been doing, but need the defense calls for certain situations when we cant remember the play. Making 2 sets is a great idea and collecting it at the end of the game I also like.

Oct 26, 2019
There are so many cool things you can do (the game within the game) that wristbands don’t do. For example, most of the signs I give don’t actually mean anything. I just want the other team to think they do. Most of our live signs are subtle and not given traditionally. Calling out over 100 3 number combinations every game when only a handful of them are live sounds exhausting to me.

I also think they take away from kids, independent thinking and development because everything is scripted.

There is my free opinion on wristbands that no one asked for :)

RJK

Mar 23, 2022

Do you have any suggestions for calling defensive plays on the wrist band? Like situational stuff (1st + 3rd) etc.

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
There are so many cool things you can do (the game within the game) that wristbands don’t do. For example, most of the signs I give don’t actually mean anything. I just want the other team to think they do. Most of our live signs are subtle and not given traditionally. Calling out over 100 3 number combinations every game when only a handful of them are live sounds exhausting to me.

I also think they take away from kids, independent thinking and development because everything is scripted.

There is my free opinion on wristbands that no one asked for :)
Thanks for your opinion :) I agree and disagree with you.

I used signs my entire coaching life so i get the creative ways it can be done. I found this year as the kids are getting a little bit older, playing on multiple teams, Select team not being able to get together except on Sundays, new kids to the team, adding situational plays, trying to get them to remember signs all the time was a challenge.

For example, you call a fake but take and steal. Batter takes strike 1 right down the middle and the runner is still on first can be frustrating for players, coaches & parents.

We'll see if it works. The game of softball is already mental enough. Ill report back my findings.

Oct 26, 2019
Thanks for your opinion :) I agree and disagree with you.

I used signs my entire coaching life so i get the creative ways it can be done. I found this year as the kids are getting a little bit older, playing on multiple teams, Select team not being able to get together except on Sundays, new kids to the team, adding situational plays, trying to get them to remember signs all the time was a challenge.

For example, you call a fake but take and steal. Batter takes strike 1 right down the middle and the runner is still on first can be frustrating for players, coaches & parents.

We'll see if it works. The game of softball is already mental enough. I’ll report back my findings.
Appreciate your response. There is a far greater chance that they will miss signs without the wristband that’s for sure. I have had plenty of times the girls have missed signs. If they do, they don’t play the rest of the game. Usually doesn’t happen again. The more concerning thing to me in that (hypothetical) example is why the runner wasn’t expecting the steal sign? Why doesn’t she have the green light to steal if she is one of the faster runners? A sign should be confirmation of what the player was already expecting and not a surprise. Just some food for thought.

Now if I was coaching in college and winning took priority, I would most definitely use the wristbands!

May 17, 2012
Don't call the numbers out, irritating and not needed. Signal with your hand (away from the body).

1. Plam forward with the first number (hold until the player sees you);
2. Transition to the back of the hand with the second number;
3. Transition back to palm forward with the third number.

Takes 2 seconds maybe.

Reactions: RJK
Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Don't call the numbers out, irritating and not needed. Signal with your hand (away from the body).

1. Plam forward with the first number (hold until the player sees you);
2. Transition to the back of the hand with the second number;
3. Transition back to palm forward with the third number.

Takes 2 seconds maybe.
How many numbers are on your cards?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee