2023 NFHS Survey is out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
That being said, they have also required coaches to wear the hard-shell hats in the coach boxes (or full helmets for player-coaches), but will not make a statement about requiring face masks for infielders at any level (which I think is much more important, personally, but that's just me).

My guess ... and a quick bit of research shows I may be wrong ... is that the helmets are still NOCSAE certified, but face gear (only) is not.

Quickly looking at helmets, and it does NOT appear they are NOCSAE certified, not even the ones that are popping up on umpires.

That's why I am not sure why they are asking about face masks. Anybody who has been to a softball game at any level knows face masks are common.

Aug 6, 2013
I would prefer not to see players wearing jewelry during the game. I do believe in some rare instances that it can cause injury. Before you know players will start wearing ridiculous amount of jewelry (long earrings, big chains, etc.) I would be fine with small studded earrings.

I answered no because I do not want them to remove the language that says that jewelry is not allowed.

I also thought this would get more attention. Not the first time I have been wrong. lol
My opinion is since they can wear jewelry in college why not let them wear it starting in high school? As far as the wording I think it shouldn't really be left up to ump discretion because some people can find danger in pretty much everything in life. Even the back of studs can puncture the skin if pushed back. It should be at the discretion of the person making the decision to wear the jewelry honestly. So far for daughter's games the umps have pretty much left the jewelry alone. Although in one game the plate ump made the girls take off their hoops. My daughter has a septum piercing she got for her 18th birthday - he pulled and tugged on it to make sure it was "secure" and in the end let it go - which is good because she would have sat out the game if he made a bigger deal of it. Turns out they run ruled the team they played and daughter didn't get one ball hit to her and no baserunners made it near her playing 3rd so it was kinda unnecessary to be so worried about their jewelry.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I guess the rules forum is the best place to post this. It is for coaches and officials, but it always provides insight into what bees are in their bonnets for next year ...

First section asks about satisfaction with the 2022-23 rules changes (I'm going to abbreviate these, Yes/No answers):

1.) Removing the number of color restrictions on a glove
2.) Clarifying the ball's status (fair/foul) is determined at the point of interference
3.) Removing language prohibiting the wearing of jewelry
4.) Allowing all runs to score on a walk-off homerun
5.) Clarifying when a batter-runner is out if there is interference on an initial play

Second section asks "Have you seen any of these things this year?" (Never, Rarely, Frequently, Almost always)
1.) Infielders wearing head/face protection
2.) Questions about drying agents transferring to the ball
3.) Players using smartwatches for communication outside the dugout
4.) Umpires unsure of malicious contact versus interference
5.) Players wearing a wristband with playbook/playcard attached to their belt instead of their arm or wrist

Third section on topics for 2023-24; Would you favor ... (Yes/No answers)
1.) Permitting bat sensors
2.) Permitting leaping
3.) Allowing one way electronic communication from the coach to infielders
4.) Requiring wristbands with playcards to be worn on the wrist (not allowing them on the belt)

giphy.gif

Three things...

1) I am so glad they removed the jewelry rule. It's absurd that girls would have to take out nose piercings or try to hide them from umpires. Or those harmless cloth (yarn? I don't know what they are, but they aren't even metal) bracelets that don't actually come off. I've yet to see any jewelry in games from any teams that I would consider something beyond reasonable.

2) I don't really care about electronic communication in general. The rules as they stand are absurd and need to be redone anyway. There's not actually a good reason why it's against the rules for me to set up a radar gun so I can see my pitcher's speed in-game (it would be against the rules to have my Pocket Radar app receiving the speeds). There are probably some ways people can cheat using certain devices. If there are, write rules that will prevent that. A blanket "no electronics" is some real stuffy old man silliness.

3) RIP Lance Reddick

May 27, 2022
Thought this would get more conversation!

I actually had not noticed a player wearing a wristband on their belt until today, when we had a pitcher who did. Personally, I don't care. Baseball is being stupid with making this a hill to die on (so softball is looking into it) considering some of the other things going on.

A batter who has a pitch hit a playcard on their belt (or batting gloves/sliding mitts in their pocket, or jewelry hanging down) should NOT be awarded a hit by pitch. Clothing is a hit by pitch and that is not clothing. (Again, see baseball's antics here.) It's a dead ball and call it.

The fair/foul thing was simply cleaning up language in the rulebook that was apparently goofy. I can't even remember how they explained it in the clinic or literature, since we have always called it the common sense way.

I absolutely agree with you on the electronics issue, keep it all out ... and smart watches need to be addressed as electronic communications, not jewelry.

I'm curious @Gambler Bob why you said "no" to being satisfied with the jewelry rule. I said "no" also but I did so because I don't like the wording that puts it on the umpires to deem things dangerous with no training or guidance (beyond an obscure PlayPic that popped up).

I am wondering why they are asking about infielder's face masks ...

Could be to make facemasks mandatory?

Personally, I don't care about jewelry, but our local USSSA director requires to take it off in any tournaments under her control.

I am ok with Bat sensors (I wish I could afford one for every one of my players). Not ok with electronic communication.

I am against allowing leaping. I think that it is much easier to see a leap than to judge a replant and it is hard to replant if you don't leap.

May 27, 2022
My opinion is since they can wear jewelry in college why not let them wear it starting in high school? As far as the wording I think it shouldn't really be left up to ump discretion because some people can find danger in pretty much everything in life. Even the back of studs can puncture the skin if pushed back. It should be at the discretion of the person making the decision to wear the jewelry honestly. So far for daughter's games the umps have pretty much left the jewelry alone. Although in one game the plate ump made the girls take off their hoops. My daughter has a septum piercing she got for her 18th birthday - he pulled and tugged on it to make sure it was "secure" and in the end let it go - which is good because she would have sat out the game if he made a bigger deal of it. Turns out they run ruled the team they played and daughter didn't get one ball hit to her and no baserunners made it near her playing 3rd so it was kinda unnecessary to be so worried about their jewelry.

As noted, our local USSSA doesn't allow jewelry. As I understand it, years ago, she got hurt by jewelry she was wearing and doesn't want anyone else to have to go through that. FWIW...

May 29, 2015
My daughter has a septum piercing she got for her 18th birthday - he pulled and tugged on it to make sure it was "secure" and in the end let it go - which is good because she would have sat out the game if he made a bigger deal of it. Turns out they run ruled the team they played and daughter didn't get one ball hit to her and no baserunners made it near her playing 3rd so it was kinda unnecessary to be so worried about their jewelry.

giphy.gif

Good job, NFHS. :rolleyes:

Oct 4, 2018
I would prefer not to see players wearing jewelry during the game. I do believe in some rare instances that it can cause injury. Before you know players will start wearing ridiculous amount of jewelry (long earrings, big chains, etc.) I would be fine with small studded earrings.

I answered no because I do not want them to remove the language that says that jewelry is not allowed.

I also thought this would get more attention. Not the first time I have been wrong. lol

I see more boys wearing jewelry in baseball than girls are allowed in softball. Tons of young boys wear those rope necklace thingies.

I'm fine if girls wear it. Up to them. Get hurt because of it, your fault.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles