Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2017
We have remote control cars on Mars, and some of you act like it is impossible to count how many pitches someone throws.
To be cynical though, there were billions and billions of dollars spent to make that happen. No money to be made protecting girls from having their bodies breakdown...

Jun 8, 2016
Little League Softball already have pitch count rules in place and have for a while. Somehow they broke the code. Maybe they are just smarter than everyone else. If you don’t like or don’t want pitch counts just say that. But to say there is no way to track pitch counts, please.
The thing about LL softball is it isn't really tournament ball. The OK team that won the LLWS a few years ago was able to get away with using 3 pitchers because I don't think they played more than 2 games in any one day. It does show that counting pitches in softball is possible though..although I am not sure how that was even a question unless they think that baseball coaches are much smarter than softball coaches (hint: they aren't) :ROFLMAO:

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The thing about LL softball is it isn't really tournament ball. The OK team that won the LLWS a few years ago was able to get away with using 3 pitchers because I don't think they played more than 2 games in any one day. It does show that counting pitches in softball is possible though..although I am not sure how that was even a question unless they think that baseball coaches are much smarter than softball coaches (hint: they aren't) :ROFLMAO:
The rules may be different now, but when our rec team was in Little League it was an inning count, not a pitch count. Both coaches were required to hand in a document at the end of the game similar to what you stated with baseball. When we played in the Little League tournament it worked fairly well because the tournament director would tally everything and step in if there was a question. During the regular season it was an absolute mess. Some teams provided accurate information, others falsified the documents and it was well known. Unfortunately not much was done about it. This was 10 years ago, so it's quite possible that things have changed.

May 27, 2013
So my ds is playing Legion baseball (17-18 y/o) this summer. Their pitch counts get displayed on the District Web site after each game. We carry 3 starting pitchers and have 5 others for middle relief/closers. I’d say about 5 of those kids also play the field as starters when not pitching.

Each team uses GC to track pitch counts and is open to everyone to see.

Jun 8, 2016
So my ds is playing Legion baseball (17-18 y/o) this summer. Their pitch counts get displayed on the District Web site after each game. We carry 3 starting pitchers and have 5 others for middle relief/closers. I’d say about 5 of those kids also play the field as starters when not pitching.

Each team uses GC to track pitch counts and is open to everyone to see.
To show you how times have changed (and how old I am..), 30 years ago in the MA Legion State tournament, I played in a game where both starters went 12 innings (the game actually went 19). The score was 1-1 when they both left the game (they were both pretty high draft picks) :ROFLMAO:

Spinelli was the kid we faced..I blame the steroids for him K'ing me once or twice :LOL:

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
like it is impossible to count how many pitches someone throws.
What amazes me is how people can just say let's have pitch counts. Without actually looking at the full picture, and discussing its implementation.

I am glad this discussion went beyond the
'let's have pitch counts' comment.

While I have not read the entire discussion. Maybe i missed this
So asking....
What pitch #'s would you like to see @lostcreek? Same as baseball?

Do agree with getting rid of the ludicrous situation. Pitchers pitching three games in a day.
That would be easier to start with.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
More pitchers. Ok good.
Unfortunately generally when sb pitchers are striving to become pitchers they will need lessons. $$$$$$. Or
At least coaching at it.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to suggest that
*More more more softball coaches learn how to teach underhand pitching.

Maybe then it would be more comparable to baseball with pitching limits where the coaches in baseball can coach pitching at least to a certain level. Cuz it's overhand and the players already know how to throw overhand. Then can have numerous pitchers on a team.

*Don't need a rule to implement something that is smart to do!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Maybe then it would be more comparable to baseball with pitching limits where the coaches in baseball can teach pitching at least to a certain level. And can have numerous pitchers on a team.

*Don't need a rule to implement something that is smart to do!
What do you think would happen, without any pitch count rules, with some (many?) ) coaches that had 6 pitchers but one was much (might not even have to be "much") better than the other 5?

Also to your "everyone has to make a choice" statement. In this case your assumption with that argument is that the parents of the kid who is overused would know better and care. If that isn't the case then you are basically saying oh well kid, tough luck your parents are idiots so screw you. Maybe you are one of the lucky ones who can take a huge pitching load but maybe you will end up not being able to pitch at all when you are 16.

I've said this a million times on here about various things, while parents/kids can choose their coach, kids don't get to choose their parents.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse