Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2017
Not to derail a thread that already has 15 or so trains running, but specific to those baseball rules you posted, the blanket "cannot pitch 2 games on same day" rule seems extreme. Need a reliever to come in and close out a game because the pitcher that started the inning is in trouble. Throws 4 pitches to 1 batter, and done for the day?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Not to derail a thread that already has 15 or so trains running, but specific to those baseball rules you posted, the blanket "cannot pitch 2 games on same day" rule seems extreme. Need a reliever to come in and close out a game because the pitcher that started the inning is in trouble. Throws 4 pitches to 1 batter, and done for the day?
Rules would be modified for fastpitch. Maybe a 175 or 200 pitches a day would work???? Going to need 4 pitchers if you make a run in the losers bracket.

Apr 1, 2017
Well I guess it can be done. Very interesting.
I don't have much experience with the baseball side of things, other than conversations with softball parents that also have sons playing baseball. For a single tournament, pitch counts can definitely be worked out/"policed". It gets a little more tricky (and more honor system), when you start trying to combine the big picture of tournaments, weekday friendlies, etc.

Related to softball though, it's the single tournament that seems to be the biggest concern anyway. Stopping the 300 pitch Saturday, followed by the 200 pitch Sunday...

May 13, 2023
Jun 8, 2016
The hardest part would be restructuring all the teams to be able to handle limited pitch count like that. It could be done. Would be like a swift storm kicking azz throughout the nation.
I said before it would have to start with 10U only and then the rule moves up with them.

May 13, 2023
I said before it would have to start with 10U only and then the rule moves up with them.
Yep, then even doubling these numbers would still restructure softball ginormously.
Screenshot_20230712-065211_Drive.jpg
How many pitchers are on these baseball team rosters?

Softball venues could start having less games per team per day/weekend.
Cut back on demand to be pitching.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877