Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
✔️
15 players on roster
8 of them can pitch
More kids will have to learn to pitch for sure. That's a good thing..Being able to pitch in baseball is certainly easier although I would argue that being able to pitch effectively as you get older is equally difficult. All of the mental hurdles that could cause kids to quit are still there in baseball as well. The main issue will be at the younger levels fastpitch pitchers more than likely will need a PC (eg $$) while in baseball that isn’t the case (my 8 YO DS just started pitching and throwing to me 3 times a week in the yard is good enough at the moment..his 5 YO brother pitches to me too :). I know enough about pitching to get him through ball on the small field..hopefully he decides he doesn't want to pitch anymore after that.. :ROFLMAO: )

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
224 post and I don't believe anyone has addressed my question. How in the heck would a pitch count rule be policed or enforced? Umps check GC before games at plate meeting. "OK, Coach I see here that Jenny can only throw 27 pitches this game." Maybe you hire special PCM (Pitch Count Monitors) that count and track every pitcher? They would have to be certified and paid.$$$$. What's the penalty for exceeding the pitch count?
224 post about an abstract rule change idea.

Usually the other team hollers out the pitch count of the opposing pitcher at the end of each half inning, based on Game Changer.

A lot of energy is spent by parents to ensure the other team isn't cheating. :p

Jun 8, 2016
Usually the other team hollers out the pitch count of the opposing pitcher at the end of each half inning, based on Game Changer.

"Buddy" system... :ROFLMAO:

May 21, 2018

Travel baseball is a wild sport. The cr*p that goes on with tanking games and roster manipulation is crazy.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The implementation is the challenge to me... Even in baseball. The ump is taking for granted that the document he was handed was accurate. But that doesn't include the 200 pitches that kid threw to his dad the night before at home. It also doesn't include warm ups before the game. We had a girl on our 14u team that struggled to complete a full game. But that was after throwing for more than an hour before the game during her warmups. We try to convince her to shorten her warmup routine, but her dad insisted upon it. So she would throw 4 or 5 innings and then we would pull her.

To be clear, I actually support a pitch count. I just don't have any good ideas of how to implement or enforce one.

Jun 8, 2016
The implementation is the challenge to me... Even in baseball. The ump is taking for granted that the document he was handed was accurate.
In that thing I posted both teams handed in pitch counts for both teams..maybe take the average of both numbers :ROFLMAO:

May 13, 2021
Little League Softball already has pitch count rules in place and have for a while. Somehow they broke the code. Maybe they are just smarter than everyone else. If you don’t like or don’t want pitch counts just say that. But to say there is no way to track pitch counts, please.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves