Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2023
"we can't do anything because there are edge cases that would make it not work" is not a good argument.

You can absolutely make rules within a league/organization/tournament that limits innings, or games, or whatever. They can be super high/broad, but enough that "hey, try not to totally wear that kid down" is part of the process.

Of course you can't control what they do outside that situation, no more than you can make sure they're eating a good meal and getting enough rest. That's not really the point. The point is to reduce the incentives for coaches, parents, players to take on added risk to win. Repetitive stress injuries are real things, and making awareness of that codified in the rules is worth doing.

May 13, 2023
See this is where I disagree. There are plenty of situations in society where there are rules in place to account for negligent parents 🤷🏽‍♂️ (granted this isn’t nearly as important as most of the situations those rules are for) Maybe you don’t agree with that either which is your right.
It is up to the parents to monitor it because there is no system in place that does.

( I don't have an agenda like you do to regulate what you're calling negligent parents. Rather what I focus on is there's a lot of knowledge and support for people if they look for it instead of have to be told. 🤷‍♀️)

This stands out to me
imagine over the years all the different rules that have been changed in softball yet no pitch count limits.

Ask ncaa where is the rule?
Ask nfca where is the rule?
Why isn't it implemented in high school where it could be followed there also?
What are their answers?

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
"we can't do anything because there are edge cases that would make it not work" is not a good argument.

You can absolutely make rules within a league/organization/tournament that limits innings, or games, or whatever. They can be super high/broad, but enough that "hey, try not to totally wear that kid down" is part of the process.

Of course you can't control what they do outside that situation, no more than you can make sure they're eating a good meal and getting enough rest. That's not really the point. The point is to reduce the incentives for coaches, parents, players to take on added risk to win. Repetitive stress injuries are real things, and making awareness of that codified in the rules is worth doing.
Are you aware of any educational program to inform the coaches, parents and pitchers of the repetitive stress injury issues?

Jun 8, 2016
It is up to the parents to monitor it because there is no system in place that does.
We are having a discussion about whether this would be a good thing to do…right?? Of course at this very moment, with no rules, it is up to the parents.

Baseball had no pitch count limits in youth baseball either until the last decade or do 🤷🏽‍♂️

Like I said, I would rather everyone just use common sense. That said I just read where some local mother left her 4 year old alone in the house for 6 days while she was off doing who knows what so..

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023
Are you aware of any educational program to inform the coaches, parents and pitchers of the repetitive stress injury issues?

it has to be _in the rules_. Our 3rd/4th grade travel league says "pitchers may pitch no more than 3 innings per game." Simple enough. Was the same in rec. It's obvious why. That's most of the innings, but it's enough that you can't just pick one kid and have them pitch every inning.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
it has to be _in the rules_. Our 3rd/4th grade travel league says "pitchers may pitch no more than 3 innings per game." Simple enough. Was the same in rec. It's obvious why. That's most of the innings, but it's enough that you can't just pick one kid and have them pitch every inning.
Agreed. Just setting here thinking a rule with a lack of awareness of why there the rule is not a good thing. Being told too many pitches is bad, but why is knowledge.

Here is a knowledge example

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1